Afghanistan’s first vice president Abdul Rashid Dostum sustained a minor injury when the Taliban ambushed his convoy in northern Faryab province, where he is leading an offensive against the group.
Chief Executive Officer Abdullah Abdullah on Monday confirmed that Dostum was injured and described his condition as “satisfactory”, Khaama Press reported.
Speaking at a meeting of the ministers council on Monday ahead of his visit to Saudi Arabia, Abdullah said Dostum suffered a “minor injury” in the attack on Sunday.
The Taliban ambushed Dostum’s convoy when he was accompanying security forces on their way to Ghormach district, which fell to the Taliban last week.
Dostum told the media that the militants who attacked his convoy were disguised as policemen.
The former warlord travelled to Faryab last week on the instructions of President Ashraf Ghani to help repulse attacks on the province by the Taliban.
Dostum has been attacked in the past by the Taliban militants and also escaped several assassination attempts by the group. When he joined security forces on the frontlines in Faryab province in August last year, he survived at least two assassination attempts by militant groups while he was leading counter-terror operations.
His convoy was ambushed by the Taliban in Qaisar district in August 2015 while a plot to assassinate him was thwarted by security forces and his guards a few days later. Three suicide bombers were arrested near Dostum’s residence in Qaisar district in connection with last year’s plot.