Food, theatre, workshops: 10 things to do in Mumbai this weekend
Your weekend. Our guide.HT48HRS_Special Updated: May 04, 2017 20:59 IST
1) Workshop: Odissi Masterclass: Noted Odissi exponent Debi Basu will walk you through the basics of the classical dance form, while talking about the history of the art. The workshop is spread over three days.
Where: West Room 1, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Entry: Rs 3,000; When: 10am
2) Food and drink: Latin American Cuisine: Celebrate the Mexican festival of Cinco de Mayo. Choose from a one-day special menu that will include seafood ceviche with tomato, coriander, chilies, lime and plantain chips, chicken, lamb and paneer tacos, and a spiced chocolate mousse with cinnamon.
Where: One Street Over, Khar (W); Call: 2600 2224
Price Rs 2,000 for two; When: 7pm to 1.30am
3) Comedy: Weekend Special: Watch comedians Sourav Ghosh, Vaibhav Sethia, and Anirban Dasgupta poke fun at the culture shock Mumbai provides, courtesy its unprecedented crowd, traffic, and fast-paced lifestyle.
Where: Tuning Fork, Khar; Call: 98333 58490
Entry: Rs 440; When: 8.30pm
SATURDAY, MAY 6
4) Theatre: A Walk in the Woods: A political thriller, the play follows a conversation between two diplomats (an Indian and a Pakistani) in the middle of peace talks. The duo take a private walk in the woods trying to achieve a breakthrough in the negotiations between the two countries.
Where: Tata Theatre, NCPA, Nariman Point; Call: 6622 3737
Entry:Rs 200; When: 7pm
5) Music: Funk Assassin: Put on your dancing shoes. DJ Amul Lokanathan will spin a mix of electro-swing and funk.
Where: Bonobo, Linking Road, Bandra (W); Call: 2605 5050
Entry: Free; When: 9pm onward
6) Theatre: The Darkroom Project: Catch an experimental retelling of five dark stories. The line-up includes Premchand’s Kafan, Saadat Hasan Manto’s Khol Do, and The Little Match-Girl by Hans Christian Andersen.
Where: Marathi Sahitya Sangh Mandir, Girgaum; Call: 2385 6303
Entry: Rs 200; When: 6pm
SUNDAY, MAY 7
7) Dance: Jheeni: A dance-drama, this production is a musical interpretation of the works of poets Kabir, Janabai and Chokhamela. Starring dancers Hitesh Dhutia and Sanjukta Wagh, it is a kathak recital.
Where: Studio Tamaasha, Aaram Nagar Part 2, Versova;
Visit: facebook.com/tamaashatheatre; Entry: Rs 500
8) Workshop: A Painting Party: Head to a day-long painting festival-cum-masterclass to know all about Pointilism. It is an art technique in which small, distinct dots of colour are applied in patterns to form an image.
Where: Versova Social, Andheri (W); Call: 86550 26123
Entry: Rs 1,850; When: 4pm
9) Food and drink: Tiffin Combo: Dig into meals that include portions of dynamite prawns, chicken yakitori skewers, steamed edamame, Bombay duck, hoisin chicken, fiery mapo tofu, burnt garlic fried rice, and hakka noodles.
Where: KUAI Kitchen, Cusrow Baug, Colaba; Call: 2283 0692
Price Rs 420 onward per person; When: 12pm to 11.30pm
10) Food and drink: Chettinad Festival: Celebrate the cuisine of the state of Tamil Nadu. Gorge on karuveppillai meen (curry leaves flavored grilled kingfish), poricha vavval (masala marinated and fried pomfret), eral kozhambu (prawn cooked in tomato onion gravy), and kozhi sambar (yoghurt chicken with coconut and chillies).
Where: South of Vindhyas, The Orchid, Vile Parle (E); Call: 2616 4000
Price: Rs 1,300 onward per person; When: 12pm to 12am
First Published: May 04, 2017 00:00 IST