N Ananthanarayanan has spent almost three decades with news agencies and newspapers, reporting domestic and international sport. He has a passion for writing on cricket and athletics.
Articles by N Ananthanarayanan
- India’s Olympic javelin champion will compete on June 14 for the first time since his Tokyo high on August 7, 2021
Member of the victorious World Cup teams of 2003 and 2007, he will be remembered for his impact performances, and in India for the 2007-08 Monkeygate controversy
- The documentary on Fifa+ attempts to strike the right notes but neither Vijayan nor Pappachan get a word in.
ByN Ananthanarayanan, Kolkata
New Delhi: The turn of the millennium evoked fears of the Y2k bug hitting computers worldwide
- KL Rahul's white-ball credentials and wicket-keeping are settled and he will be the most in focus as leader of IPL newcomers Lucknow Super Giants.
India’s top golfer is happy to regain his best game after the second-place finish at the Players Championship, but wishes he had birdied the final hole and forced a playoff with one-shot winner Cameron Smith
The Pune-born, Florida-based player was at the cusp of what would have been the greatest achievement by an Indian golfer
Within a round of ending a seven-year itch, the Indian golfer led by one shot after the third round in the unofficial fifth Major
- The hat-trick against Spurs is a measure of how much he can bend a game to his will.
Dubbed the Indian “run machine” and the original “little master” Sunil Gavaskar elevated the country’s cricket with his batting proficiency and professionalism against the greatest of opponents, succeeding in the pre-helmet era against the West Indies fast bowlers of the 1970s and 1980s and the great Australian sides spearheaded by Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson
Sachin Tendulkar defined Indian cricket, and by extension, the global game. Virat Kohli has followed in that tradition to retain the primacy of Test cricket and keep pace with his illustrious predecessor
- In the first ODI series after Kohli was removed as India captain, the change in the team's body language and approach was stark.
- New Zealand's record run-getter ended a long career with an emotional win over Bangladesh; the stake-holders of Indian cricket though never seem to give much thought to a traditional farewell for their players.
- India, who have won only three Tests in South Africa over seven previous tours, are searching for their maiden Test series win in the country.
- The Kiwi left-arm spinner has bucked a trend in his country of pace heroes. While cricketing stardom is assured, will Ajaz build on his historic feat in the Mumbai Test?
- The former India skipper, who joined the team as director in 2014, took the team to great heights in Test cricket and formed a strong bond with skipper Virat Kohli.
- The Italian who has won silverware with pretty much every club promises to spice up the Premier League battle of world class managers after taking over at Tottenham Hotspur.
- The explosive opener has struggled to shake off his woeful form and hopes he can find some rhythm in a tricky contest against a hard-working Sri Lankan side.
- When Sanjiv Goenka’s RPSG splurged Rs. 7,090 crore (approximately $947 million) - almost a billion dollars - to acquire the Lucknow franchise on Monday, it wasn’t just about how far IPL has come as a financial behemoth.
- The most important post in Indian sport comes with its share of drama, power struggles and complex relationships.
ByRasesh Mandani, N Ananthanarayanan
His nine-year tenure as IPL skipper ended without a title after his team was eliminated by KKR in a low-scoring Eliminator in Sharjah.
- The explosive Aussie opener seemed to have played his last IPL game this season after Sunrisers Hyderabad dropped him against Rajasthan Royals.
- It all started in the IPL for Ashwin, now one of Test cricket's greatest bowlers. Now it's again the platform from where he hopes to get into the World Cup.
- Although the international body, ICC, issues warnings against racist behaviour by fans at global events, institutions and individuals continue to come under fire with steps against racism often seen as inadequate at a social level.
- With no spectators, who make the quadrennial event feel like no other sporting event in the world, some of the great performances across a fortnight had to make do with shrieks of delight or tears of joy or dismay from the athletes themselves.
The 23-year-old shot a bogey-free five-under 66 on Thursday morning at Kawagoe to maintain stay in a tie for second place she her four-under 67 in the first round.
- India vs England: The last time Jasprit Bumrah played a Test match at Trent Bridge, the India pacer picked up a five-wicket-haul.
- The last time Kenya entered the 3000m steeplechase and did not finish first was at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, 57 years ago.
- Simone Biles withdrew first from the women’s team event, and then, on Wednesday, from Thursday’s individual all-around event citing mental health issues.
- He will be remembered though as a key member of Kapil Dev’s India that rocked the cricket world by toppling Clive Lloyd’s nearly indomitable West Indies in the Lord’s final, denying them title hat-trick and starting a new chapter in world cricket.