Aditya, Kunaal and Siddharth are three pranksters: Salome Roy Kapur
Salome Roy Kapur is often referred to as the mother of the famous Roy Kapur brothers — Siddharth (producer), Kunaal (actor) and Aditya (actor). But she is more than that. She won the Miss India 1972 title, is trained in Indian and western dances, and is a personality development trainer. She and husband Kumud Roy Kapur make an effort to keep abreast of B-Town happenings, so that they can keep up with their famous sons. Salome, who will be conducting a dance workshop at the Hindustan Times Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (KGAF) today (February 13), also talks about “fun times” with daughter-in-law Vidya Balan.
What will your KGAF workshop comprise?
It won’t just be about dance. It will also be about what you eat, how you behave etc., because all of that contributes to who you are. I will be discussing a lot of things, including the importance of meditation to improve your concentration.
You have been dancing since the age of five. How many dances forms do you specialise in?
My forte is western dance — ballroom dance, different kinds of Latin American dances, Tap Dance, Spanish dances, and folk dances. But I am also trained in Indian classical dance forms — Bharatanatyam, Kathak and Kathakali.
Your parents (Sam Aaron and Ruby Aaron) have been attributed with introducing the Samba to India.
Yes, that happened during the 1940s. My parents were highly-qualified people. I remember how Bhagwan Dada (actor) took training from my father and incorporated a few steps in the film, Albela (1951).
Tell us about your days as a model and winning the Miss India 1972 title.
I started modelling in 1968. It was an exciting time… I got to travel a lot.
What changes in the fashion industry do you witness today?
Earlier, fashion shows were about promoting textiles. Today, fashion is actually about fashion. The models walking on the ramp give you a picture of what the trend is.
How was it being a mother to three boys?
(Laughs) Well, they are three pranksters, as boys would be. But I did not find handling them very difficult, because the age gaps between all of them are quite large. So, I had enough time to focus on one kid at a time.
Recently, Aditya shared that you keep yourself updated with Bollywood news so that you can discuss it with your sons…
Most parents would want to know what’s happening [in their children’s lives]. So, we (she and her husband, Kumud) do that as well.
Tell us about your equation with Vidya.
We meet whenever we can… it usually turns out to be on Sundays. It is always a fun time around the [dining] table.
Why didn’t you continue acting in films?
I didn’t really give it more than I had. I did one movie called Tu Hi Meri Zindagi (1965). But I felt I wasn’t cut out for acting. I concentrated on what I was good at.
Did you consciously try to reinvent yourself as a person over the years?
Nothing should be stagnant in life. I have benefited a lot because of the various caps that I have donned.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Chaitanya Tamhane's The Disciple, which opened to critical acclaim at the Venice and Toronto film festivals, has been nominated in the Best International Film category at the 36th annual Independent Spirit Awards. Adarsh Gourav has been nominated for Best Male Lead, for The White Tiger.
- Amitabh Bachchan showed off his new Covid-19 mask on social media, and his grandchildren -- Navya and Agastya Nanda -- couldn't get enough of it.
- Producer Boney Kapoor and his Maidaan director, Amit Sharma, are miffed about RRR potentially clashing with their film at the box office.
- Hrithik Roshan has shared a rare picture with ex-brother-in-law Zayed Khan, who accompanied him on a hike. See the picture here.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut, in an incendiary video, has called for everybody who supported the 'so-called' farmers' protests to be jailed.
- "The whole world is laughing at us today," Kangana Ranaut wrote in a new tweet, targeting Diljit Dosanjh and Priyanka Chopra.