Amitabh Bachchan says irritated Dharmendra fired a real gun on Sholay sets: ‘The bullet just missed my ear’
Actor Amitabh Bachchan has revealed an interesting piece of trivia about his iconic 1975 film, Sholay. The film, which recently completed 45 years, is considered among the most influential Hindi films ever made.
On the latest episode of his game show Kaun Banega Crorepati, Amitabh talked about shooting the climax with his co-star Dharmendra. He was speaking to a contestant, CRPF DIG Preet Mohan Singh, who had told the actor that he was a big fan of the movie. Singh had suggested that during the climax, Dharmendra should have picked up more ammunition which might have just saved Amitabh’s character Vijay’s life. Amitabh revealed that Dharmendra actually almost shot a real bullet at him during the scene.
“When we were shooting for that scene, then Dharam ji was down below and I was on top of the hill. Dharam ji opens a chest and picks up the ammunition. He did it once and was unable to pick up the bullets, did it again and failed again. Dharam ji got very irritated. I don’t know what he did, he put the cartridge in the gun and they were real bullets! He was so irritated about not getting the right shot that he fired the gun. I heard a ‘whooosh’ sound as the bullet went past my ear while I was standing on the hill. He had fired a real bullet. Main bach gaya (I was unhurt). So yes, there were many such incidents during the film and Sholay was indeed a special film,” he said during the show.
Sholay also starred Amitabh’s wife, Jaya, and Dharmendra’s wife, Hema Malini. It also featured Sanjeev Kumar as Thakur and Amjad Khan as the villain Gabbar. It was directed by Ramesh Sippy. In August, Ramesh had revealed that Dharmendra, Sanjeev and Amitabh had all wanted to play Gabbar in the movie. He said they were willing to give up on their hero image, but he had found his Gabbar in Amjad, who was roped in after Danny Denzongpa had quit due to his commitment to Feroz Khan’s film Dharmatma.
Follow @htshowbiz on Twitter
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Pooja Bhatt has said that she took a step back from acting because she had no desire to play 'arm candy' to heroes.
- Arjun Kapoor and Anshula Kapoor have shared special birthday posts for their half-sister, Janhvi Kapoor. Read their messages here.
- Fans clamoured for any new detail about Kareena Kapoor's new baby, after she posted a year-in-recap post on Instagram.
- Actor Janhvi Kapoor, who turned 24 on Saturday, has spoken about the most valuable life lessons she learned from her parents, Boney Kapoor and Sridevi.
- Ranveer Singh took to Instagram and shared an old picture featuring Rohan Shrestha on the photographer's birthday. The photo was taken when they were 14.
- "I will not make the statement you want me to, take my smile instead," said Gul Panag, refusing to comment on statements made by several celebrities about the farmers' protest, in a video being widely shared online.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut has said that she hasn't taken a single holiday in 2021, and has worked through her periods.
- Actors Swara Bhasker, Richa Chadha, Tisca Chopra, Satyadeep Misra, Rajshri Deshpande and others took to social media to voice their support for Taapsee Pannu and Anurag Kashyap.
- Janhvi Kapoor had once revealed how her mother did not want her to join films. Sridevi felt her older daughter would not be able to survive in the industry.
- New behind-the-scenes photos from the sets of an advertisment capture Ranbir Kapoor's transformation into an old man.
- Actor Rhea Chakraborty's lawyer Satish Maneshinde has called the 12000-page charge sheet filed by the Narcotics Control Bureau in the Sushant Singh Rajput's death case a 'damp squib'.
- Gauahar Khan has shared a video of her father, recalling the 'most favourite memory' of her life. The actor's father died on Friday.
- Actor and politician Nafisa Ali has shared some glorious pictures from her youth. Needless to say, she looks beautiful in them. Check them out here.