Gauri Khan reacts to daughter Suhana Khan’s post on colourism, says she’s ‘proud of her for standing up for herself’
Shah Rukh Khan’s wife, interior designer Gauri Khan has said that she is proud of their daughter Suhana’s recent stance against colourism. Suhana, citing personal experiences, had recently penned a post about discrimination based on the colour of one’s skin.
Gauri told Indian Express that she is proud of her daughter for taking a stand. She said, “I think it is time we stop discriminating on the basis of the colour of our skin, and I am proud of her for standing up for herself.”
Suhana, in her September Instagram post, had shared screengrabs of hate messages that she’s received online, and called for an end to colourism. She had written, “There’s a lot going on right now and this is one of the issues we need to fix!! this isn’t just about me, it’s about every young girl/boy who has grown up feeling inferior for absolutely no reason. Here are just a few of the comments made about my appearance.”
She continued, “I’ve been told I’m ugly because of my skin tone, by full grown men and women, since I was 12 years old. Other than the fact that these are actual adults, what’s sad is that we are all Indian, which automatically makes us brown - yes we come in different shades but no matter how much you try to distance yourself from the melanin, you just can’t. Hating on your own people just means that you are painfully insecure. I’m sorry if social media, Indian matchmaking or even your own families have convinced you, that if you’re not 5”7 and fair you’re not beautiful. I hope it helps to know that I’m 5”3 and brown and I am extremely happy about it and you should be too.”
Her post has been ‘liked’ over 700000 times, with many people appreciating her speaking out. Filmmaker Zoya Akhtar had written in a comment, “Thank you for sharing this. It’s only self hate that makes people want to demean others. in any case we can’t take criticism from people we wouldn’t go to for advise. A racist only defines themselves so you be you beautiful one. You are unstoppable.”
Since then, however, Suhana has shared lighthearted posts from the UAE, where she’s currently stationed with her family, including her parents and two brothers -- Aryan and AbRam. The Khans are there for the ongoing season of the Indian Premiere League. They’ve often been spotted in the stands, cheering for Shah Rukh’s Kolkata Knight Riders.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Director Chaitanya Tamhane's The Disciple, which opened to critical acclaim at the Venice and Toronto film festivals, has been nominated in the Best International Film category at the 36th annual Independent Spirit Awards. Adarsh Gourav has been nominated for Best Male Lead, for The White Tiger.
- Amitabh Bachchan showed off his new Covid-19 mask on social media, and his grandchildren -- Navya and Agastya Nanda -- couldn't get enough of it.
- Producer Boney Kapoor and his Maidaan director, Amit Sharma, are miffed about RRR potentially clashing with their film at the box office.
- Hrithik Roshan has shared a rare picture with ex-brother-in-law Zayed Khan, who accompanied him on a hike. See the picture here.
- Designer Manish Malhotra has shared a behind-the-scenes video of Varun Dhawan getting fitted for his wedding with Natasha Dalal. Watch the video here.
- Shah Rukh Khan's wife, Gauri Khan, has shared a throwback photo from Paris, leaving Maheep Kapoor and Malaika Arora in awe.
- Actor Kangana Ranaut, in an incendiary video, has called for everybody who supported the 'so-called' farmers' protests to be jailed.
- "The whole world is laughing at us today," Kangana Ranaut wrote in a new tweet, targeting Diljit Dosanjh and Priyanka Chopra.
- Actor Salman Khan, in his Republic Day message for fans, called for unity. Read what he has to say here.