I am not good enough to work internationally: Shah Rukh Khan
Apart from being popular in India, Shah Rukh Khan has a huge fan following around the world as well. Yet, even though other Indian actors like Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone and Irrfan Khan are making a mark in Hollywood, Shah Rukh has still not acted in an international film.
“I don’t think I’m good enough,” says SRK, adding, “I have not looked elsewhere. I’m a patriotic person. I’ve always wanted to do something great for Indian cinema, but not as an actor; that is not greatness. I wanted to work something out, where Indian cinema would gain from what I’ve done, like VFX, etc.”
The 50-year-old also says his shy nature could also be a reason why he has never explored opportunities beyond India. “I’m very shy. Even the people I work with on films have to be my friends. I get very awkward around new people,” says Shah Rukh, adding, “I get impressed by those [actors] who go out and speak in a different language, on a set in another country, and do well. That’s fantastic. But I get scared.”
Having said that, SRK hasn’t ruled out the possibility of making a film that may have global appeal, even though it is made in Bollywood. “I feel that even at this stage of my career, I may become part of a film, which may be loved internationally, but is made in India. It would be something like a Life Is Beautiful (1997). I may not act in it, but I want to make a film like that,” he says.
At the same time, the star applauds those who have managed to make a mark internationally. “I don’t want to belittle any actor who’s worked in the US. I think they are all fantastic. You expose a lot of your inner fears when you go to an alien land, and achieve something. Whether it is a big or a small role,” says Shah Rukh, adding that if he ever does an international film, he would make sure that he doesn’t let his fans down. “In a strange, self-important and self-obsessed way, I feel that I represent India. If I work in an international film, then it has to have some kind of importance, not only for me, but also for the country that has made me the star that I am,” he says.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here
- After the death of singer Sardool Sikander on Wednesday, comedian Kapil Sharma shared a video from his daughter Anayra's first Lohri, when Sardool gave his blessings to the baby.
- The teaser of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Gangubai Kathiawadi, starring Alia Bhatt in the titular role, was released on Wednesday. Watch it here.
- Alia Bhatt shared a new poster of her upcoming movie Gangubai Kathiawadi. The poster received love from many Bollywood stars including Ranveer Singh , Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan.
- Actor Nora Fatehi in an emotional interview recalled the difficulties that she faced as a struggler in Bollywood.