Kunal Kemmu on 10 years of Golmaal 3: The moment I read the script, I realised, for us actors, it’s like a paid holiday
The franchise has been around for 14 years, and even today, Golmaal leaves everyone in splits. A total of four instalments have released till date, all hits, and the third part saw director Rohit Shetty experimenting with retro meets new generation. It worked, and how!
Kunal Kemmu is ecstatic as the film completes 10 years of its release today. The actor played the role of Laxman, who uses funny poetic lines frequently.
“Right from the start, when Rohit told me about this film, I said ‘There are already so many people, what will I do, I will get lost’. Then when I heard the script, I realised it’s one of those franchises, for us it’s just like a paid holiday. We love each other, there are great actors together,” he shares.
Recalling some anecdotes from the shoot, the 37-year-old quips that one tends to even forget they’re shooting when the film is one like Golmaal 3. “We had so much fun on sets, on the off days we would play volleyball, then in the Goa schedule we were on jet skis and water sports,” says Kemmu.
But the best part for the actor was getting to work with Mithun Chakraborty, who spoofed his own famous roles and songs in the film.
“I’m his big fan, and he’s such a gem of a person to work with, you soon forget that this is the Mithun Chakraborty, because he’ll speak to you like he’s your friend, and he does become one. He’s a legend,” gushes the actor.
He goes on to add that what he does remember clearly is being “nervous” on the first day of shoot, as he was joining the Golmaal cast for the first time — Ajay Devgn, Tusshar Kapoor and Shreyas Talpade — had worked on the previous instalment, too.
“It took me two days to get into the zone, as it was a new character. These guys had done two films before, and their characters were all loved. I didn’t know what to do with my character and what Rohit wanted from me. But on the second day, I did one shot, and he said on mike ‘Cut, okay, super, welcome to Golmaal’. He then added that you have got into the zone, now just have fun,” recounts Kemmu.
Follow @htshowbiz on Twitter
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sherlyn Chopra has accused disgraced director Sajid Khan of sexual misconduct, adding that he's protected by the Bollywood 'mafia'.
- Pahlaj Nihalani has said that although he hasn't received an invitation, he's heard that Varun Dhawan and Natasha Dalal are tying the knot this weekend.
- After Alia Bhatt's reported hospitalisation for exertion, her Gangubai Kathiawadi co-star, Seema Pahwa, said that director Sanjay Leela Bhansali doesn't rush actors with work.
- Malaika Arora has shared a throwback picture from her Goa vacation with Arjun Kapoor, along with some advice. Rahul Khanna said that he'll try to follow it.
- Actor Deepika Padukone answered quirky questions in an Instagram Ask Me Anything session on Tuesday.
- Deepika Padukone said that because of the upbringing she got, she believes in taking care of her home herself, instead of outsourcing duties to her staff.