‘Love angle’ cannot protect Rhea Chakraborty in court, says Sushant Singh Rajput’s family lawyer
Varun Singh, a representative of lawyer Vikas Singh, has responded to Rhea Chakraborty’s lawyer Satish Maneshinde’s recent comments that the fact she loved Sushant Singh Rajput is being seen as a crime. Vikas Singh is the lawyer of Sushant’s father KK Singh in his case against Rhea, who has been accused of abetting Sushant’s suicide, and misappropriating his funds.
Varun Singh told Republic, “If she may not be able to answer properly during the confrontation then she may be arrested soon. It’s a strange argument that how stating love can protect her from a court of law. I don’t understand how the love angle can help her. If she thinks so she should go to court and speak all this. Can’t say anything on the drugs angle until and unless it is proved in court, but yes if there is anything such then it’s going to help us.”
Rhea was questioned by the Narcotics Control Bureau about her involvement in the procurement of drugs for Sushanton Sunday. Rhea had previously said in an interview that Sushant used to smoke marijuana. The NCB has arrested several people involved in the case, including Rhea’s brother, Showik Chakraborty.
Her lawyer had said that Rhea is prepared to be arrested. “She is ready for arrest as it’s witch-hunt. If loving someone is a crime she’ll face consequences of her love. Being innocent she hasn’t approached any court for an anticipatory bail in all cases foisted by Bihar Police with CBI, ED & NCB,” he said in a statement.
After questioning Rhea for six hours on Sunday, she was summoned by the NCB for further questioning on Monday. Separate investigations by the Central Bureau of Investigation and the Enforcement Directorate are also being carried out.
Sushant died on June 14, at the age of 34. The Mumbai Police in its initial investigation concluded that he died by suicide, and was suffering from depression. Sushant’s family has so far hesitated to accept that the actor could have had a mental illness.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Shabana Azmi has shared a picture of herself, smiling from ear-to-ear, on the one-year anniversary of a near-fatal car crash.
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.
- Actor Sonam Kapoor has shared a new image from the Glasgow sets of her upcoming film, Blind. Her dad, Anil Kapoor, left a comment on her post.
- Natasa Stankovic has paid a heartfelt tribute to Hardik Pandya’s father who died on Saturday after suffering a heart attack.
- Disha Patani took to Instagram stories to share a video of herself dancing to rumoured boyfriend Tiger Shroff's new track, Casanova.
- Soni Razdan feels that Rhea Chakraborty has a bright future ahead of her in the film industry. Soni said that her time in jail 'clearly exposed the people who sent her there'.