Salman Khan launches Being Human bikes worth Rs 40-57,000 on World Environment Day
Bollywood star Salman Khan, who on World Environment Day launched e-cycles under his Being Human brand, says the endeavour is an effort to contribute towards the well-being of our earth.
“Since the time I got into movies, my fans have accepted me... They pay to watch my movies. It’s my time to give back to fans,” Salman told IANS in an email interview from Mumbai on Monday.
“We pay our taxes, we pay rent and the most important thing is to pay Mother Earth to live here,” added the superstar, said to be Bollywood’s highest advance tax payer for the financial year 2016-17.
The actor, once accused of poaching blackbucks near Jodhpur in 1998, said he feels very close to nature.
“We come from farm lands, my parents and grandparents. My grandfather is from Jammu. All our meals coming back from school used to come from the fruit-bearing trees in Bandra (Mumbai). So, I have planted fruit-bearing trees in my building and in my farm.
“Nature is very important... We need to plant as many trees as possible,” said the Dabangg star, who has regaled film audiences for over two decades.
His e-cycles, priced from Rs 40,000 to Rs 57,000, are aimed towards sustainable city development, with less emissions and noise.
It’s part of his offerings under brand Being Human, under which he already has apparel and jewellery segments -- sales of which are used for education and healthcare of the underprivileged in India.
There’s also news that Salman will be venturing into smartphones.
Talking about the expansion plans, the actor said: “We have just started our entry into the category, we need to be careful. If people buy our products and like it, we will see. We are starting the cycles and the smartphones in small numbers and we hope to have minimum losses and maximum gain.
“We also plan to start gym equipment.”
Fitness is something Salman has been promoting since his foray into showbiz. His chiselled physique has inspired fans and fraternity friends to work hard towards a well-built body.
Discussing the virtues of cycling, Salman said: “Since I was a child, I always cycled. Young kids are getting into high-powered bikes, and there are often accidents. E-cycles are more eco-friendly than motor cycles, it’s easy to commute and it’s also a good workout.”
The fitness freak is often seen cycling around in Mumbai himself.
“Sitting in the car takes a lot of time. I reach the studio a lot faster and since I have been cycling all my life, I prefer it,” said the 51-year-old.
“The first time my father got me a cycle on rent for 25 paise, he held the seat and I thought he was behind me, but he had left it... and I was cycling on my own. I was four or five years old,” he said recounting a fond memory.
On the film front, Salman will next be seen in Kabir Khan’s “Tubelight”.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan, who welcomed their second son earlier this month, got a visit from Arjun Kapoor, Malaika Arora and Karisma Kapoor.
- Kangana Ranaut played hostess for the team of Tejas, as they went to her house on Sunday for a meeting. She shared pictures of the get-together, giving fans a glimpse of her home as well.
- Aamna Imran, dubbed as Aishwarya Rai's doppelgänger, took the internet by storm this weekend with her uncanny resemblance to the Bollywood actor. The Pakistani social media influencer has revealed that she has an Indian connect.
- Roohi actor Varun Sharma opened up about his love life in a recent interview. He recalled bonding with a girl he liked from school when his mother was busy watching Kasautii Zindagi Kay.
- Anil Kapoor reveals he had really looked forward to shooting a scene that had him taking a stand for his onscreen daughter, Priyanka Chopra, in the film Dil Dhadakne Do.
- Alia Bhatt has shared a sunshiny new picture on Instagram and she looks stunning as ever. Check it out and try to spot a cute little cat in the picture as well.
- Suhana Khan spent her Saturday night with friends in New York. Shah Rukh Khan's daughter took to her Instagram Stories and shared a glimpse of her whereabouts.
- Days after the trailer was released, Mumbai Saga makers have dropped its first song, titled Shor Machega. Yo Yo Honey Singh and Hommie Dilliwala sing the latest Bollywood song.
- Kangana Ranaut has shared a video of her brother and parents' Mumbai home which she transformed into a more lively place with the help of her new sister-in-law Ritu.
- Varun Dhawan and Shraddha Kapoor were spotted at the Mumbai airport on Sunday morning. The actors were headed to the Maldives, where Shraddha's cousin Priyaank is tying the knot.