To cheer Sushant Singh Rajput up, Rhea Chakraborty would call director Rumi Jaffery to meet him: ‘Sir aapke sath khush hota hai’
Filmmaker Rumi Jaffery, who was slated to direct Sushant Singh Rajput and Rhea Chakraborty in a romantic comedy, has said that he was aware of Sushant’s depression, but didn’t press him on the matter as he feared it might make him uncomfortable. Sushant died by suicide on Sunday, at the age of 34.
“Rhea had told me about Sushant being depressed and in fact, Sushant also told me that some 5-6 months back. I had asked him many-a-times about it but he didn’t disclose too much and I didn’t push much because I thought he might not be comfortable,” Rumi told Pinkvilla in an interview. “In fact, Rhea would call me at their place sometimes and say that sir, aap aa jao, aapke saath baithta hai toh positive energy milti hai, khush hota hai (please come over, he’s happy when he’s around you) or he would come to our place. I knew he was seeing taking treatment for this and was on medication.”
Clarifying his earlier comments about Sushant wanting to take up farming, Rumi said, “He never said he wanted to quit acting, and then do farming but one of his dreams was to farm alongside action and cut. He liked to stay alone, loved science, plantations, he was so intelligent. We used to talk farming because I share a mutual interest. In fact, I have a small garden at my place in Bombay where Sushant would visit whenever he would come home.”
The filmmaker said that he tried calling Rhea, but she was too devastated to answer the phone, and spoke to her mother instead. “He was such a young and smart mind,” Rumi concluded. “He was loving towards me. I miss his hugs. He would prank me. In fact, I had texted him on June 12 and he had replied emotionally to it and I keep going to that message again.”
Sushant was cremated at Mumbai’s Vile Parle crematorium on Monday. The actor was known for his acclaimed performances in films such as MS Dhoni: The Untold Story, Sonchiriya, Kai Po Che, Detective Byomkesh Bakshy! among others.
If you need support or know someone who does, please reach out to your nearest mental health specialist. Helplines: Aasra: 022 2754 6669; Sneha India Foundation: +914424640050 and Sanjivini: 011-24311918
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut took to Twitter and dropped a vague description of a man who she believes is running a social media smear campaign against her.
- Swara Bhasker lashed out at a man who made an unsavoury comment about her being on the cover of Vogue magazine. She called him a "pretentious half-wit pretending to be ‘elite’".
- Rohan Shrestha's father, Rakesh Shrestha, said that he would be very happy if his son and Shraddha Kapoor decide to get married.
- Rakesh Roshan took to social media and revealed he received the first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine shot. He also pointed out the uniqueness of the day.
- Alia Bhatt took to Instagram and shared new production pictures from the upcoming movie Brahmastra. The actor stars with Ranbir Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan in the movie.
- Actor Hazel Keech, the wife of cricketer Yuvraj Singh, announced that she is going on a social media detox. She said that she will be back but 'not too soon'.
- Kangana Ranaut is 'thrilled' to know how she is 'awesome at everything' she does. On Thursday, she shared photos of her smoothie bowl, after many claimed that she had pulled the picture off the internet.
- Parineeti Chopra has unveiled the teaser of her upcoming film Saina. She plays badminton player Saina Nehwal in the film.