Gold facing a turbulent January. Is this the right time to buy it?
Gold was the top performer of 2020, with the year highs termed as the highest in a decade, recording gains as high as 25 per cent. However, the new year began with some turbulence in the prices of the precious metal as the optimism in the economic recovery gained momentum amongst investors.
This small rise in the price of the metals on MCX came after the steep decline on Friday when gold prices fell by ₹2,000 and silver recorded a dip of more than ₹6,000. This was in contrast to the previous year when gold had recorded a high of ₹56,200 per 10 gram in August.
As per analysts, the precious metals are facing a switchback week in January on the back of dollar recovery and unexpected high yields from the US Treasury bonds. Howie Lee, an economist at Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp has said that the increase in yields from the bonds is "pouring cold water on gold at the moment".
"Rising inflation expectations and higher yields are pulling gold in different directions right now and the latter seems to be prevailing. Gold may trend sideways for now but rising inflation expectations would likely drive gold higher later in the year,” Bloomberg quoted Lee as saying.
The cryptocurrencies have also fallen with the rise in US bonds yield. Bitcoin on Monday recorded a one-week low as the yields pushed the dollar to recovery. The change in the US administration with US president-elect Joe Biden's inauguration scheduled for January 20 and stimulus hopes are riding the stocks high, denting the gold market.
However, HDFC Securities anticipates this dent on gold as short-lived. "Gold prices traded under pressure with recovery in US long term bond yields. The 10 year US treasury yields hit the March 2020 highs which also triggered short unwinding in the dollar. The traders and investors rushed to book profits in gold on risk on sentiments with buying in riskier assets," Mint quoted the brokerage as saying.
Meanwhile, the government is also releasing its tenth tranche of Sovereign Gold Bond scheme on Monday. Investors can apply for subscription till January 15, 2020. The issue price is fixed at ₹5,104 per gram of gold.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- For checking EPF balance without UAN number, users will need to log into their account through the EPF homepage at epfindia.gov.in.
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended that states be given 41 per cent of the divisible tax pool of the Centre during the period 2021-22 to 2025-26, which is at the same level as was recommended by the 14th Finance Commission.
- Here’s a list of some of the tasks which need to be performed by taxpayers before March 31
- In an interaction with members of the Indian Women’s Press Corps (IWPC), Sitharaman said that consumer sentiment about the tax burden on auto fuel was understandable.
- Nearly 1.1 million vaccine doses were administered to people above the age of 60 and those in the 45-59 age group till Thursday.
- Mohapatra said the idea came during Modi’s meeting with Marriott International president and chief executive Arne Sorenson, who complained about the complex regulations in starting and running a hotel in India.