Panic grips Lalru after hydrogen chloride leak
Panic gripped residents of Lalru and nearby areas after hydrogen chloride (HCL) gas leak from a pharmaceutical unit here on Sunday morning.chandigarh Updated: Jun 29, 2015 12:33 IST
Panic gripped residents of Lalru and nearby areas after hydrogen chloride (HCL) gas leak from a pharmaceutical unit here on Sunday morning.
Though the leakage was plugged in a few minutes, residents rushed out of their houses complaining breathing problem.
Officials of the police, administration and Punjab Pollution Control Board rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation. They also directed the management of the pharmaceutical unit to take preventive measures to avoid such incident in future.
Former sarpanch of Hasanpur village Gurvinder Singh told HT that his family members complained of breathing problem when they woke up in the morning. “We all rushed out of the house in panic and informed the police,” he added.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Around 6am, people started complaining of breathing problem. Later it was found that there was hydrogen chloride gas leak from a pharmaceutical, Punjab Chemicals and Crop Protection Limited situated on the Samalheri road in Lalru. Company general manager Ravinder Chadda said the gas leak took place due to a technical snag.
Residents of Hasanpur, Lehli and Lalru were affected by the gas leak. He said the leakage was checked within a few minutes and the plant was made functional. The company had been using only mild HCL for their intermediates.
Tehsildar Gurvaryam Singh, who also reached the spot, said the leakage took place following tripping of the mixing pump.