‘Water harvesting must be taken up seriously’
Principal secretary, department of urban development, emphasized that water harvesting must be taken up seriously to counter the problem of depleting water table.
“Water harvesting is difficult to adopt till we understand the simple science behind it. We will have to make people understand about its importance so that they start adopting it,” said Kumar during a panel discussion held in Lucknow on Sunday.
Engineers, architects and representatives of a cement manufacturer were part of the discussion to deliberate on the present situation of rainwater harvesting in the state.
The officer added that his department is making efforts to motivate people to take up rainwater harvesting. Group housing societies and builders are also being roped in to fall in line and adopt the change.
Sharad Jain, director of National Institute of Hydrology, said combined efforts of the society are required to achieve success in conserving underground water.
“Mother nature provides us with enough water to sustain in the form of rainwater. The system worked for thousands of years till we started building concrete jungles and pumping underground water. We need to find a balance in this process so that we sustain the groundwater for a long period of time,” added Jain.
Representatives from the cement manufacturer informed about a new kind of porous concrete they have developed that allows water to pass through it and seep inside the soil. Such concrete can be used for building parking lots, roads and other infrastructure, they said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Progressive sugarcane farmers from every corner of the state will be invited and it is expected that many specialist producers of the agriculture and food processing sector will also visit the festival.
- 10 BJP and two SP candidates are in the fray in the legislative council polls for 12 seats. Their unopposed election is being seen as a foregone conclusion, provided none of the remaining candidates withdraw, which will otherwise make voting necessary.
- The order to lift the ban was issued after chief minister Yogi Adityanath approved a proposal to this effect on Monday, sources said.
- All joined at a membership event held in the presence of SP chief Akhilesh Yadav at the party headquarters.
- The 41-year-old doctor expressed complete faith in Covishield vaccine and said that all results have shown it to be an effective protection against the coronavirus and safe.
- All 15 police personnel were suspended for remaining absent from their duty points.
- After the legislative council election, the UP Cabinet is likely to be expanded before the crucial 2022 Assembly election, said a BJP leader.
- The girl came to Lucknow from Nepal in search of a job two years ago before she was misled and trapped by the main accused who worked as a security guard.
- The quick acceptance of his application for voluntary retirement has started a buzz in the BJP circles that Sharma may be sent to the Legislative Council in Uttar Pradesh.