Bravo comes out of T20I retirement
Bravo, 36, had quit international cricket in October 2018. Since then, Ricky Skerritt has replaced Dave Cameron as Cricket West Indies president, Phil Simmons returned as coach and Kieron Pollard appointed captain for the 50-over and 20-over sides.Updated: Dec 13, 2019 23:35 IST
Dwayne Bravo announced his availability for T20Is in his second home here, two days before the West Indies start the three-match ODI series against India at the city’s MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chepauk. Bravo, a Chennai Super Kings player since 2011 who returned to the team once its suspension was lifted in the Indian Premier League in 2018, said he is making himself available only for the shortest format, five days and 10 months before the T20 World Cup in Australia.
“I want to make it very clear, international T20 cricket only for West Indies. Due to the changes in the administration (at Cricket West Indies), the coach, the captain, I think it’s a good time for me to come back… I can still contribute in the shortest format of the game. I’m very driven and excited with the young talent in West Indies cricket. We have the perfect opportunity collectively that everyone sings the same song,” said Bravo here on Friday.
Bravo, 36, had quit international cricket in October 2018. Since then, Ricky Skerritt has replaced Dave Cameron as Cricket West Indies president, Phil Simmons returned as coach and Kieron Pollard appointed captain for the 50-over and 20-over sides. “What the new dispensation has ensured is they have given plenty of freedom to youngsters. This freedom to express themselves is making the youngsters to play a fearless brand of cricket,” said Bravo.
Bravo said he knew he wouldn’t be a shoo-in to the national team. “The T20 World Cup is not the main reason why I’m coming back. There is so much talent in West Indies cricket, if managed properly and with right players around, we can become the most dominant team like we once were few years ago. Our focus now is to improve the T20I rankings and I think I can only enhance what is already there. There are so many talented guys under the leadership of Pollard, Jason Holder; Simmons is back, Nicholas Pooran, Shimron Hetmyer, you throw in Andre Russell, Sunil Narine along with Chris Gayle, put together with the right squad with everyone playing again, I think the cricketing world will start to watch West Indies again,” he said.
West Indies assistant coach Roddy Estwick said: “We look forward to somebody with his experience. He came and saw us during the Indian leg of the tour (West Indies also played three one-dayers, three T20Is and one Test against Afghanistan in Lucknow last month). We know his death bowling skills and variations.”
ARUN PRAISES DUBE
Speaking after their training session in the afternoon, India bowling coach B Arun said the team management sets great store by the abilities of young Shivam Dube. “He is gaining in confidence with every game. Look at the way he came back after he bowled the first over against the West Indies (in the first T20I in Hyderabad). It was good of Virat (Kohli) to show faith in him and he bowled a good spell (in the second T20I),” said Arun.
Dube went for 13 in his only over in the first T20I but had figures of 2-0-18-0 in the second game which India lost. In that game, he also got his first T20I half-century, making 54 off 30 balls and hitting Pollard for three sixes in one over. He bowled three overs in the last T20I in Mumbai.
Deepak Chahar too, Arun said, has the ingredients to do well for India. “He has been exceptional in the IPL and can move the ball both ways. He is capable of bowling slow bouncers and slow yorkers. I think with so much skill on hand, he has everything in him to do well at the international level.”