IPL 2020: ‘Batsmen have been winning all awards, good to get it as bowler’ - Bumrah’s cheeky remark after match-winning performance
Mumbai Indians stormed into the finals of the Indian Premier League 2020 after mauling Delhi Capitals by 57 runs in the first qualifier on Thursday at the Dubai International Stadium. After being sent in to bat by DC skipper Shreyas Iyer, MI posted a huge total of 200 runs in 20 overs with Ishan Kishan and Suryakumar Yadav scoring fifties. But their performance was overshadowed by another Mumbai Indians’ player in the second innings.
Jasprit Bumrah bowled a magical spell against DC as he dismissed four batsmen for just 14 runs. Bumrah also bowled a maiden in his four overs and tilted the match in MI’s favour right at the very start of DC’s run-chase. The spectacular performance by the Indian pacer earned him a Man of the Match award and Bumrah was really pleased to have it.
“I am okay with not getting wickets and winning the tournament, I have been given a role so I just want to execute that role. Opening yorker was really important. I decided I will do that early in the game and when it comes off it’s always nice. I am always ready when the captain wants me to bowl.
“I don’t focus on the end result. When I have done that it’s always gone downhill. I have a great camaraderie with Boult. We discuss fields, situations, so there’s a lot to learn from him. Batsmen have been taking all the awards, so it’s good to get it as a bowler (laughs). Ah no, I don’t worry about awards. As long as the team is winning I am happy.”
The all-round power of MI rose to the fore on as they outclassed DC, storming into their second straight IPL final. After the 57-run rout, Delhi will now have to wait for Sunday, where they will meet the winner of Friday’s eliminator to make their maiden final.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India are already without two of their premier bowlers in Ashwin and Jasprit Bumrah in the Gabba Test, who have missed it due to back spasm and abdominal strain respectively.
- India vs Australia, 4th Test: Sundar made his debut in Brisbane and made an instant impact. Sundar picked up three wickets in the first innings with Steve Smith being his first wicket.
- India vs Australia: Each wicket is special for Hazlewood but the fast bowler is highly content with one dismissal in particular.
- India vs Australia: Shardul Thakur's innings, on expected lines, seemingly got under the skin of Australia, with the fast bowler explaining that the opposition reacted by chirping away a few words at him.
- Virat Kohli, R Ashwin, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Shami, Ishant Sharma, Ravindra Jadeja, Hanuma Vihari, KL Rahul, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar have all missed part of the Test series or the whole contest itself.
- The impact of Dravid as the head of NCA has been applauded as it has resulted in India having quality players on the bench.
- The dream continues for Natarajan, who became the first Indian cricketer to make debuts in all three formats for India on the same tour with Jadeja lauding the 29-year-old for keeping calm and hardly showing any nerves.