Students’ union elections in Uttarakhand to be held on September 8
Students’ union elections will be held on September 8 across Uttarakhand. For the first time in the state, students’ union election for both Garhwal and Kumaon circle are being held on the same date. Elections for Garhwal circle will be held on September 10.
There are 101 government colleges, 50 degree colleges and five universities in the state where the students’ union elections will be held on the same date.
In Dehradun, the elections will be held at DAV PG College, DBS PG College, MKP College and Shri Guru Ram Rai (SGRR) PG College.
Nomination forms for MKP will be distributed on August 31 and September 1. Nominations will be submitted at the college on September 5. SGRR will also start the distribution of its forms from Friday. The nominations will be submitted by students on September 4.
The counting of votes and declaration of results in both colleges will take place on the date of voting itself.
DBS College is yet to announce the dates whereas DAV College will announce the dates for filing nominations on Friday. State government had instructed authorities of the college to talk to the State Election Commission for conducting the elections through Electronic Voting Machines (EVM).
“We went to the election commission’s office today. We were told that the commission will give us the machines but will charge rent for the same. We also have to submit a deposit amount and in case of any damage to the machine, the college shall be fined,” DAV’s election officer DK Tyagi said.
“They also told us that they do not have any staff members to train us in the operation of the machine. We have been asked to write to the district magistrate to request for training. So until and unless someone trains us and the government gives us fund for the EVMs, we will not be able to use them for voting,” Tyagi added.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Uttarakhand government has been seeking Green Bonus as compensation for the conservation of its forests by not expanding the industrial development.
- Indira Hridayesh, Uttarakhand leader of opposition, rubbished the rumours and said that she is in a very important position in Congress.
- The boy's link with the online platform came to light after police officials went through his mobile phone on Wednesday.
- The initiative, Bhuli (sister in Garhwali language) Kanyadan, is the brainchild of Devprayag station house officer.
- Three control rooms will also be made at three UP’s three districts of Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor and Saharanpur bordering Uttarakhand for effective sharing of information and intelligence.
- The HC found that the civil judge had separated the criminal case in his court filed against the accused without there being any valid reason.
- The demand comes months after the Centre decided to discontinue the Centre for Glaciology project in Uttarakhand.
- Among the six bodies, five were found on Saturday late night while one was found on Sunday morning.
- The men belonged to Ratanpura village under Bazpur police station and were on their way to Garjiya temple of Ramnagar in Nainital.
- The leopard dragged her to the forest area and ate her body parts. Her head was found severed from her body.