Accused produced before wrong court; granted transit bail
A drama broke out when an accused arrested for allegedly evading duty Rs 3.3 crore, summoned by the excise department Faridabad, was produced in a Patiala House courtroom.
Taken aback, Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Ajay Pandey asked why was the accused Manu Jain brought there.
Satish Aggarwala, counsel for the Central Excise department said Jain did not honour three summons issued by the excise department, for appearance.
“Jain was apprehended by the excise officer at 9 am from Panchsheel Enclave, New Delhi,” Aggarwala submitted in court.
“If his production is required in Faridabad court, then take him to that court,” said the judge.
The judge noted that the accused was produced in the court way after lunch time, and no local agency including the local police officials were involved in the arrest.
The judge said, “Despite the opportunity of being produced before the court concerned, the accused was not intentionally produced there.”
Dismissing the contentions of the excise department explaining how Jain had evaded duties, the court said, “All these points could have been considered by the Faridabad court had he been produced there.” The court, thereafter, granted him transit bail.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.
- The Panth Ratan Baba Harban Singh Ji Dialysis block in Bala Sahib hospital complex started treating patients from Sunday.
- Whatever, the two ascetics are buried next to each other, separated by a neem tree. For that reason, many consider the landmark as a twin shrine.