China checkmates foreign students
The Chinese government has moved to regulate the numbers of universities that enroll foreign students and allow medical courses to be conducted in English. With more and more Indian students looking to China as the new Shangri-La of medical education, the move comes as a rude shock.
The Chinese regulation, issued on July 25, will reduce the number of Chinese universities that can enroll foreign students and teach medicine in English to 30. The Chinese embassy in New Delhi defended the new policy, saying it was to “facilitate the return” of the students to their countries and “make it easier for them to find jobs”.
Over 3,200 Indian students have opted to study in China recently, with the numbers rising in the past two years, government sources said. Of these students, 85 per cent are studying medicine. China is an attractive proposition for students from countries like India because courses and living costs are cheaper compared to those in the West. Also, there is little emphasis on high school marks.
The Chinese felt the need to take this harsh step probably because they felt their educational standards were getting diluted by the influx of foreigners, the sources said.
The Health Ministry will now have to formulate a policy on how to treat students enrolled in universities other than the 30 authorised to take in foreigners and teach in English. The problem is, none of the students have graduated yet.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The CPCB report released on Sunday said that there are over 112 sites in India that are contaminated by toxic and hazardous substances.
- An infection is said to be endemic in a population when it is constantly maintained at a baseline level in a geographic area.
- The BJP dismissed the allegations as “baseless” and hit back, saying that the AAP should answer why the construction of the Signature bridge in north-east Delhi faced delays.
- Appropriate allocation of funds in this regard will be made in the upcoming Delhi budget that is likely to be presented this week, he added .
- In February that year, just before Holi, he went back to the Sadar Bazar trader with the water gun he had produced and also the Chinese one.
- Experts said such initiatives will ensure that the only continuous green space in the national capital is preserved.
- A host of functions to honour women have also been scheduled at different police stations and DCP offices.
- Adesh Gupta has also started ‘mandal pravas’ (stay in each municipal wards) to connect with the party workers and supporters.
- As part of the revamp, new CCTV cameras, with better technology for improved clarity, additional escalators, bird spikes to prevent tripping of the overhead electrification (OHE) due to bird menace, were also installed.