Early morning fire kills four in DDA flat in Delhi’s Dilshad Gardens
A family of four died in an early morning fire that broke out in north east Delhi’s Dilshad Garden. A short-circuit is suspected to be the cause.Updated: Feb 09, 2016, 13:18 IST
A family of four died in an early morning fire that broke out in north east Delhi’s Dilshad Garden. Fire officials said that the control room received a distress call at around 5.45 am. Eight fire tenders were rushed to the DDA flat where the fire was raging.
The deceased have been identified as Pradeep Jaiswal (59), his son Rajan (34), Rajan’s wife Anuja (33) and their son Anshul (8). The Jaiswals ran a dry cleaning unit at their flat in the M block DDA colony of Dilshad Garden.
Police suspect the fire, which spread to the first floor of the building, was caused by a short-circuit. The blaze spread to the first floor of the building.
The four were declared brought in dead at the GTB hospital, while Pradeep’s wife Saroj (50) is reportedly critical.
“It is too early to comment on the cause of the fire. It took around one and a half hours to douse it. The fire fighting operation was over by 7 am. The flat was less than 150 sq yards. We have not taken the statement of anyone from the family because the only living member is still unconscious,” said a police officer.
DCP (North East) Dr AK Singla said that the crime and FSL team is inspecting the spot. “The fire officials in their preliminary observations said that it may have been caused by short-circuit. The FSL team is collecting samples and will give us their opinion. The family was living and running their store from the same room in the colony. Investigation is on.”