Figure this: Raja seeks debate on 2G loss estimate
Former telecom minister A Raja, main accused in the 2G spectrum scam, wants the Lok Sabha to discuss the authenticity of the Comptroller and Auditor General’s (CAG) findings on the issue.
Raja, who was granted bail on May 15 earlier this year after spending nearly 15 months in jail, gave a notice for raising the issue after former CAG official RP Singh said he was made to sign the report on 2G spectrum allocation by his superiors, despite his disagreement on the R1.76-lakh-crore loss figure.
Lok Sabha secretariat confirmed receiving Raja’s notice. “The honourable member has given a notice under Rule 193, which provides for a short duration discussion on a subject without voting,” said an official.
Raja’s party, the DMK, stated that the revelation by Singh — former director general, post and telecommunications, at the CAG — has put a “big question mark” on the findings by the country’s auditor, which had put the presumptive loss figure in the 2G scam.
Lok Sabha officials are in a fix over Raja’s notice.
Being an MP, it is Raja’s right to give a notice for discussion on any subject, as long as it is in conformity with the House rules and regulations.
The Lok Sabha secretariat will now seek the finance ministry’s view on whether it would like a discussion on the CAG’s functioning in the House, considering there would be nobody to represent the apex auditor there.
Speaker Meira Kumar is expected to take a decision on Raja’s notice after she receives the views of all concerned parties.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- This evening he is stationed beside a zebra crossing in Connaught Place, standing amid a continuous motion of shoppers going about in all directions.