Husband kills self after finding wife dead
A couple married for the past 15 years chose to end their lives within minutes of each other following a recent reminder of the husband's alleged infidelity, at their house in west Delhi on Thursday night.
While Ravi, who used to repair air conditioners for a living, was found hanging from the ceiling fan, his wife Shalini, whose death police attribute to hanging too, was found lying on an adjacent bed at their Khayala residence around 9:55pm on Thursday night.
Police claimed the couple decided to kill themselves one after the other at the end of a bitter confrontation instigated by a photograph of Ravi's alleged lover which Shalini found hidden in his clothes.
"According to the couple's eldest daughter, there was a fight between the couple some time in the evening after which Ravi left the house in a fit of rage. In the meantime, Shalini hung herself," said V Renganathan, additional CP (west).
Police suspect Ravi hung himself out of fear when he discovered that his wife had hung herself and he failed to revive her. The couple has three children.
"There used to be constant fights between the couple owing to Ravi's extra-marital affair with a woman who also used to visit the couple's house often," said an investigating officer.
"It is all because of Ravi's relationship with another woman. They used to fight at the slightest provocation since Shalini got to know about the affair some time ago," cried Ravi's mother Shobha Devi.
According to police, Shalini confronted her husband after she found the other woman's picture in his cupboard. Earlier, she had read some text messages sent by her on Ravi's mobile phone.
Police attributed the death of both to asphyxiation due to hanging.
Shalini's viscera report is being sought and inquest proceedings have been initiated in the matter though no criminal case has been registered.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- An HT analysis of the profile of snatchers arrested in Delhi between 2018 and 2020 shows that more than 90% of those arrested were caught for the first time, and did not have any criminal record until then. Police registered them as “first-time offenders”.
- A pavement establishment rich in character.
- Additional sessions judge Amitabh Rawat questioned the police’s case as to how the offence of attempt to murder can be made out against accused Imran and Babu, when the victim himself is absent from the police investigation and has never been seen by the police.
- Under section 196 of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC), the investigating agency has to take prior sanction from the state government to prosecute any individual for sedition.
- In a statement issued later, the Delhi government said the funds have been allocated for scholarships to SC/ST/OBC communities, Ladli Scheme, aid and equipment for children with special needs and for augmentation of library infrastructure in Delhi government schools.
- The elections are being seen as a test for Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal, as they are a precursor to the 2022 Delhi civic body polls.