Retired army officer taken into custody in Dilshan killing
A retired army officer was taken into custody by Chennai Police today in connection with killing of teenaged boy Dilshan in an army area, army sources said.Updated: Jul 09, 2011 23:15 IST
The Chennai Police have taken custody a recently-retired army officer for questioning in connection with the killing of a 13-year-old boy inside an Army camp in Chennai last week.
"An officer, who retired three months ago and had been staying in the officers' block opposite the place of the incident, was handed over to the local police there for questioning yesterday," senior army sources said in Delhi.
They said the retired officer hails from Tamil Nadu and was leaving for Madurai when he was stopped and handed over to the police for questioning.
The suspicion was on the retired officer and the police took him into custody with full cooperation from the Army, said the sources.
Earlier a Lt Colonel and a jawan were quizzed in Chennai by CB-CID which was entrusted with the probe into the killing of Dilshan who was shot dead last Sunday.
The Army is also conducting its own inquiry into the incident.
The 13-year-old boy died of bullet injuries when an army jawan allegedly fired at him and three others for trespassing on to residential premises near Fort St George in Chennai on Sunday, triggering protests.
Dilshan, whose father is a labourer, was rushed to a nearby government hospital after he was shot in the head but couldn't be saved. The other boys escaped unhurt. The group had gone to the area, housing army residences, to pluck a fruit.
The firing, which took place around 2.15pm, sparked off protests in nearby Indira Nagar area, where Dilshan lived. Around 300 people blocked traffic for more than two hours, demanding action against the jawan.
Condemning the incident, Tamil Nadu chief minister J Jayalalithaa alleged that a jawan had opened fire at Dilshan, a charge denied by the Army.
"The Army jawan could have easily realised that the boy who tried to climb a tree was not an extremist or a terrorist… Such opening of fire is not acceptable," she said, announcing a Rs5-lakh compensation for the boy's family.
A case for causing death due to negligence has been registered and investigations were being conducted with the military police, city additional commissioner (law and order) P Thamaraikannan said.
(With PTI inputs)