‘IIM-Udaipur to implement 10% EWS quota from 2020’
At a time when the other Indian Institutes of Managements (IIMs) are in a bind over reserving 10 per cent of seats for students from Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) as announced by the NDA government, IIM Udaipur has decided to implement the quota in the forthcoming 2020-21 session.
“We have already implemented 5 per cent quota in 2019-20 session. However, as the announcement came a little late when we have had already started with admissions, we have decided to start the 10 per cent EWS quota from the coming academic session of 2020-21,” said Pankaj Patel, chairman, IIM Udaipur while speaking to IANS.
The NDA government’s scheme of bringing in 10 per cent quota for EWS students has kept many IIMs mum on the issue.
Additional 10 per cent quota means increasing the student strength in these institutes which will challenge the faculty-student ratio.
“Several alumni from other IIMs including Harsha Bhogle have joined the board. We have attained important milestones while moving forward,” he said.
“All our board members are pioneers in the industry and are bringing in a practicable course which will make a difference for us,” he added.
When asked if the slowdown in economy worries him when it comes to placement issues, he said, “It’s true that we can’t be insulated from the downturn impact. However, I feel that those schools focussing on new-age companies, for example, digital, and focusing on leadership capabilities are less likely to be hurt. But there is no way we can be insulated from the impact of the economy.”
“Meanwhile, there are many organisations which use the downturn as an opportunity to build capability. My sense is this is a bliss downturn and it won’t be affecting those schools which are preparing managers for future,” he added.
However, if there is a long spell, then definitely there will be worry, he said adding that “As the government is taking steps, we are hopeful of the best times coming.”
Why have the IIMS failed to make a mark on the global list of educational institutes?
Speaking on this, Patel confessed, “Given the quality of talent we have, ideally we should have more schools on the globally recognised list. However, now, IIM Udaipur is working in that direction to ensure we should be globally recognised by 2030,” he added.
“We are working on getting 10 of our schools in the global list of 100 best institutes by 2030. What I feel is that we need to give a slightly longer horizon to anything which is building a brand by conducting research.”
“Earlier, in our country, we were not focussing on research and today most of us are focussing on research which I am confident will help us build a reputation on a global scale,” he added.
Patel is also chairman and managing director at Zydus Cadila.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) on Saturday released the IIFT-MBA (IB) admit card for the session 2021-23
- Bihar School Education Board will on Saturday declare the Simultala Awasiya Vidyalaya (SAV) class 6th prelims entrance exam result. Candidates who have appeared for the SAV class 6th prelims entrance exam on December 17 will be able to check their results online at secondary.biharboardonline.com
- UPPCL JE Recruitment: Uttar Pradesh Power Corporation Limited (UPPCL), department of energy, UP has released a recruitment notification for the post of junior trainee engineer (civil). There are a total of 21 vacancies.
- UPPSC Calendar 2021: Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC) on Friday released its UPPSC Calendar 2021 PDF on its official website at uppsc.up.nic.in.
- JEE Main 2021: The online application window for Joint Entrance (Main) Examination 2021 will close on Saturday, January 16. Aspirants who have not yet submitted their application forms can apply till 11:59 pm on Saturday at Jermain.nta.nic.in.
- Bihar Board inter Admit Card 2021: Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) on Saturday released the admit card for class 12th board exams 2021 on its official website.
- BSEB Class 12th Admit Card 2021: Bihar School Examination Board (BSEB) will on Saturday release the admit card for class 12th board exams 2021 on its official website seniorsecondary.biharboardonline.com.
- SSC CHSL Results: Candidates who have appeared in the SSC CHSL Tier 1 exam 2019 can check their results by visiting ssc.nic.in.
- Staff Selection Commission (SSC) on Friday declared the Combined Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) tier 1 exam result 2019 and cutoff marks on its official website-ssc.nic.in.
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) has extended the deadline for re-registration for January 2021 session till January 31.