SBI PO Mains 2017: Section-wise strategy to clear the exam
The State Bank of India (SBI) probationary officers examination is a bright and big opportunity for all those aiming for a prosperous career in the banking sector.education Updated: May 16, 2017 17:12 IST
The State Bank of India (SBI) probationary officers examination is a bright and big opportunity for all those aiming for a prosperous career in the banking sector. The level of SBI PO Mains 2017 will be a tough fight for candidates, so it is better that you step up the level of your preparation to crack it.
With SBI and other banking examination increasing the level of Mains or Phase-II exam and making it at par with CAT, it is expected the cut off won’t be sky high. But let not breathe a sigh of relief and be prepared to face the unexpected.
After the completion of SBI PO Prelims exam or Phase-I, successful candidates will now have to take a 3 hour objective test with 4 sections of 200 marks online. It will have separate timing for every section.
Phase-II will also have a descriptive 30-minute test of English Language: Letter and Essay Writing for 50 marks. All candidates need to qualify in both these exams of Phase-II to go on to the next level.
Reasoning and computer aptitude
To score in reasoning you just need correct practice and hardwire your brain to quickly make decisions about what to attempt and what to leave. Do practice reasoning ability daily for at least 2-3 hours. Practice more and more puzzles and seating arrangement as they will comprise a larger number of questions. You can practice the toughest of puzzles through Adda247’s SBI PO Mains Test Series and special Challenger Series for Puzzles.
* Practice all different types of puzzles and seating arrangement daily (circular arrangement, square arrangement; blood relation, age, colour, floor, comprehension type puzzles)
* Practice computer aptitude question (number conversions)
* Brush up your skills to solve logical reasoning and data sufficiency
* Speed up in solving questions of blood relation, input-output, direction sense and miscellaneous portion of reasoning.
Data analysis and interpretation
DI is undoubtedly the most scoring section of SBI PO Mains exam and you’ll have 35 questions for 60 marks. Make a habit of practicing data interpretation questions on a regular basis daily for 2-3 hours. Revise your notes and practice daily and you can surely score well in this section as well.
* Practice daily different sets of DI (Bar, Tabular, Missing DI, Caselet, Web/Radar, Pie Chart, Mixed Graph)
* Make a habit to do speedy calculations
* Learn and revise tips and tricks of average, ratio and proportion, partnership, work and time, percentage, probability, data sufficiency, permutation and combination and inequality.
* Practice daily quizzes on Adda247 app or Bankersadda to cover important topics and step up your level of preparation.
This section is the big elephant in the room for some candidates as it especially requires you to be well prepared with current affairs of past 2-3 months. GA section requires you to be in touch with many subjects such as banking and finance, static awareness, and have a thorough awareness of important happenings worldwide. To score maximum in this section refrain from taking chances and only mark answers if you are sure about them, make a habit of reading newspapers daily and GK Updates. You should develop a habit of reading news and taking notes.
* Read daily GK updates and newspapers regularly to keep youself updated with important news and happenings
* Study banking and financial awareness which may include important guidelines, terminology, facts and figures, committees etc.
* Brush up your facts regarding static general awareness which may include important sites and places of all states, dams, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, forts and historical monuments, airports, ports, stadiums etc.
* Practice Banking Awareness Quiz, General Awareness Quiz and Static Awareness Quiz daily.
This section has evolved as a dynamic one, testing candidate’s practical approach more and more with its level at par with CAT and it all started with last year’s SBI PO exam. Don’t expect any rudimentary pattern and be prepared to face the unexpected in SBI PO Mains. You can actually score well in English with correct practice.
It is just a language and a language’s essence is in its gramma. There it is the answer to all your troubles, brush up your knowledge of grammar portion - it can help you easily understand and be fluent in English. Along with learning grammar and its rules, it is very important that you build up a good vocabulary. Learn new words and their usage daily. You can test yourself with Adda247 Test Series for SBI PO Mains 2017 that covers all the topics of new pattern English Language as well to gives a complete round of practice of all the sections.
During this preparation time keep your focus on practicing reading xomprehension, Cloze test, phrase replacement, jumbled sentences, sentence and para connectors, phrases and phrasal verb, sentence and para fillers, paragraph completion, paragraph restatement, word usage and vocabulary questions and errors.
* Learn and revise grammar rules
* Build up vocab and practice questions daily
* Keep practising a reading comprehension daily
* Practice both conventional and new pattern questions for this section
SBI PO Mains 2017 has a differential marking system, which means not every question is of same weightage. Every candidate needs to be very careful and shouldn’t be tempted to only go for questions which may bag more marks and neglect the easy ones. If not done correctly, they may cost you more marks as well. The penalty for each wrong answer is 1/4th the weightage of that particular question. It is best that you master topic management skills by thoroughly testing yourself and you can do so by taking up the real challenge to face the actual competition through good Test Series availaible online for SBI PO Mains 2017. This can be your leverage to step up the preparation. You can also watch and learn concepts of English language, reasoning, quant, GA and computers on Adda247 Channel to tackle new pattern questions and crack the exam.
(Nagar is the founder and CEO of Adda247. Views expressed here are personal.)
First Published: May 16, 2017 17:11 IST