Adnan Sami overwhelmed by Bollywood concern
Visits by superstars Amitabh Bachchan and Shah Rukh Khan and then calls from Rajesh Khanna and Saira Bano to inquire about his ailing father have completely overwhelmed Pakistani singer Adnan Sami.
Adnan's father Arshad Sami Khan, a former Pakistani diplomat, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and is admitted to the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital. But Adnan says he couldn't meet either the Big B or King Khan.
"I missed both Bachchan-saab and Shah Rukh by minutes. But at least my mother was there when Shah Rukh so graciously visited with his daughter (Suhana). My father couldn't recall the names of all the Bachchan and SRK films he had seen except 'Veer-Zaara'," Adnan said.
The singer says his father was happy when Shah Rukh called on him.
"Shah Rukh resembles Dilip Kumar-saab so much. And Dilip-saab, whom we call Yusuf Lala, is not just a favourite of our family but also a relative. So to us Shah Rukh is a direct descendant of Yusuf Lala's heritage," he added.
When Shah Rukh visited him Friday, the frail Arshad Sami could barely speak but he uttered two words - Veer-Zaara. This was his way of recalling the Shah Rukh film that did its substantial bit to improve relations between the two countries.
Adnan was once again surprised when he got a call from Rajesh Khanna, the first superstar of Indian cinema.
"I've seen his Prem Nagar at least a million times. When he called and spoke such wonderful words of consolation - 'God is there for everyone I'm sure he's there for you too' - I was overwhelmed," said Adnan.
The other dream come true was a call from Saira Banu.
"I envy Yusuf Lala for a wife who's so devoted and for so long."
The Kokilabehn hospital is suddenly a beehive of Bollywood activities. On Thursday, the Big B dropped in to see Karan Johar's mom who underwent neuro-surgery, Dimple Kapadia's sister Simple who's critically ill, Adnan's father and Prakash Mehra, who gave him his first big hit Zanjeer.
In fact, Mehra is in an ICU close to Adnan's father. When Adnan got to know that the veteran filmmaker was lying ill in the room next to his father's, he did what any sensitive person would.
"I walked into Prakash-ji's ICU to quietly take his blessings. But what do you know! He recognised me in that condition and did the popular hand movement from my song 'Lift kara de' with the Big B. It was his utterly endearing gesture of acknowledging me and my love for the movies that he did with the Big B. At times like these, being in the hospital is no more an acknowledgement of mortality. It becomes a celebration of life," said Adnan.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- WandaVision premiered its ninth and final episode on Friday. While it was a satisfying end to Marvel Cinematic Universe's first Phase 4 project, fans feel betrayed over a revelation made.
- Shehnaaz Gill said that she was not affected by the acid attack threats she got and the doctored videos made of her. She said that she is only gaining 'sympathy' in the process.
- Mahhi Vij, in a lengthy note, responded to accusations that she and Jay Bhanushali do not love their foster children Khushi and Rajveer as much as their biological daughter Tara.
- Judas and the Black Messiah movie review: Daniel Kaluuya and Lakeith Stanfield deliver extraordinary performances in Shaka King's politically charged film, co-produced by Ryan Coogler.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.