Biopic series on Maharani Gayatri Devi in works, here's an introduction to the beautiful Rajmata of Jaipur
A new biopic series on the legendary beauty and successful politician, Maharani Gayatri Devi of Jaipur has been announced. Associated with the project will be Bhavani Iyer as writer who has to her credit films such as Raazi, Black and Lootera.
Bhavani took to Instagram page to make the announcement: "It is an incredible pleasure and honour to tell the story of someone so ahead of her times, a leader, an icon of progressiveness, a true feminist and oh, also one of the most beautiful women in the world - the mesmerising Maharani Gayatri Devi. And there’s this amazing bunch of people that I get to know and love, on this journey."
She also added that she would be working with an amazing set of people including well known screenplay writer, Kausar Munir. The lead cast for the series has not been revealed.
Kausar wrote on her Instagram page, "Thrilled and honoured to be part of the dynamic team bringing the story of Maharani Gayatri Devi on screen. The modern princess who defied norms, defined grace and left behind a legacy of change. Thank you and yayyy @pranjalnk @bhavani.iyer #Juggernaut #MangoPeople." The film will be co-produced by Juggernaut Productions and Mango People Media.
Gayatri Devi was an icon. Not only was she famed for her beauty, the Princess of Cooch Behar, who later became the third wife of Maharaja Sawai Man Singh II, she was a woman ahead of her times. She had a successful career as a politician too, principally opposed to late former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. She was part of C Rajapolachari's Swatantra party and a sharp critic of Indira.
She was a champion for education and is known to have started many schools in Jaipur, most prominent being Maharani Gayatri Devi Girls’ Public School established in 1943. Under her patronage, the famous blue pottery of Jaipur also got a new lease of life.
She was once listed among the 'World's Ten Most Beautiful Women' by Vogue magazine and was a style icon during her time.
After Gayatri won the Jaipur seat in the Lok Sabha in 1962, Kennedy introduced her during an event as "the woman with most staggering majority that anyone has ever earned in an election." She tasted victory in the world's largest landslide poll win bagging 192,909 votes of 246,516 cast and the achievement was endorsed by the Guinness Book of Records.
She continued to hold this seat on 1967 and 1971 running against the Congress Party. This enraged the then prime minister Indira Gandhi, who retaliated in 1971 by abolishing the privy purses, and stopping all royal privileges, breaking the treaties agreed upon in 1947.
Gayatri Devi was accused of breaking tax laws, and served 5 months in Tihar Jail in Delhi during the Emergency. She retired from politics after that experience.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ishaan Khatter shared a throwback picture from their childhood to post a 'happy birthday' message for his half-brother, Shahid Kapoor.
- Alia Bhatt did a 'Gangubai Kathiawadi' style namaste to the paparazzi while greeting them during director Sanjay Leela Bhansali's birthday celebrations.
- On Divya Bharti's birth anniversary, here's revisiting an episode from her life when she married producer Sajid Nadiadwala and managed to keep it a secret from her father, who was opposed to the match.
- Shahid Kapoor said that he was with Mira Rajput in the labour room when she was giving birth to their daughter Misha. Mira 'whacked' Shahid when he got dizzy at one point.
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here
- After the death of singer Sardool Sikander on Wednesday, comedian Kapil Sharma shared a video from his daughter Anayra's first Lohri, when Sardool gave his blessings to the baby.
- The teaser of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Gangubai Kathiawadi, starring Alia Bhatt in the titular role, was released on Wednesday. Watch it here.