Divya Khosla Kumar says she 'didn't know a soul' in Mumbai when she moved there, had no intention to join film industry
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
Divya Khosla Kumar, who will make her acting comeback with Satyameva Jayate 2 after a career as a director, has said that she wasn't a movie buff growing up. She said that when she arrived in Mumbai, she knew nobody and paved her own path.
In an interview, she said that growing up, her mother didn't encourage her to watch films. Her focus, instead, was on her studies.
She told The Times of India, "I hardly watched movies; I was very studious. That was my life in Delhi. My mother never really encouraged watching cinema also so much. We used to watch very limited movies. One of the first movies that I saw in the theatre was Hum Aapke Hain Koun."
She said that when she arrived in Mumbai, she had no intention of joining the film industry. "My journey has been very different," she said. "When I packed my bags to come to Mumbai from Delhi, I did not know a soul here. I bagged my first film, Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyo on my own through an audition. When I moved here I had not planned on becoming an actress, a director or a producer. I think it all happened spontaneously."
Divya, who married media mogul Bhushan Kumar in 2005, made her directorial debut with Yaariyan, in 2014, and followed it up with Sanam Re, in 2016.
She will now be seen in Satyameva Jayate 2, opposite John Abraham. The film is slated for an Eid release and is directed by Milan Milap Zaveri.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Abhishek Bachchan has shared a picture from the sets of Dasvi and is seen in a powerful avatar. He plays Ganga Ram Chaudhary in the comedy film.
- Following IT raids at Anurag Kashyap's premises, Neeraj Ghaywan shared a picture from his library and tweeted, 'there’s definitely something there inside those books, too much wealth in them.'
- Slumdog Millionaire star Madhur Mittal has been accused of sexual assault by a former girlfriend. An FIR has been filed against the actor.
- Neena Gupta shared a picture with husband Vivek Mehra on completing 20 years of togetherness. He is a chartered accountant and had met Neena on a flight.
- Cricketer Hardik Pandya has shared a few lovely pictures with partner Natasa Stankovic on her birthday. He has also thanked her for giving him the most precious gift - their son Agastya.
- Gauri Khan, Seema Khan, Maheep Kapoor joined Karan Johar, Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora at Manish Malhotra's residence on Wednesday evening.
- Yami Gautam opens up about being asked to dress her age and aim at looking younger, just before the release of Vicky Donor.
- Swara Bhasker praises Taapsee Pannu for being an 'amazing girl with courage and conviction', adding that she should stand as a 'strong warrior'.
- Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor Khan were visited on Wednesday evening by Karisma Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Amrita Arora, Manish Malhotra and Natasha Poonawalla.
- Karan Johar and Manish Malhotra arrived at Saif Ali Khan and Kareena Kapoor's residence and posed together for the paparazzi. Malaika Arora and sister Amrita also visited the couple.