Javed Akhtar birthday special: His poems can inspire life's philosophy
Born in Madhya Pradesh in 1945, lyricist-poet-writer Javed Akhtar turns 76 on Sunday. Javed has been honoured with the Sahitya Akademi Award (2013), Padma Shri (1999) and Padma Bhushan (2007), He also has five National Film Awards to his credit. Last year, he received the Richard Dawkins Award.
After writing dialogues for small films, Javed teamed up with Salim Khan for Andaz and Adhikar in 1971. Together, the duo went on to make a name for not just themselves, but the entire community of writers. While Rajesh Khanna is credited with giving them their stardom, Amitabh Bachchan’s Sholay (1975) was their career-defining project.
Of the 24 films they wrote the scripts for, only four were not successful at the box office. The writer duo, fondly known as Salim-Javed, split up in 1982, after ego clashes emerged between them.
Apart from writing some of the biggest blockbusters in Bollywood, including Sholay, Javed Akhtar also has a rich bank of couplets and poetry that have not been used in films, but are equally amazing. Here, we take a look at some of his lines that can inspire people in today’s world:
1.Wo muflison se kahta tha ki din badal bhi sakte hain
Wo jabiron se kahta tha tumhare sar pe sone ke jo taaj hain, kabhi pighal bhi sakte hain
Wo bandishon se kahta tha main tum ko tod sakta hun.
2. Ghalat baaton ko ḳhāmoshi se sunna, haamīi bhar lena, bahut hain faayde ismein, magar achchha nahin lagta.
3. Mujhko yakeen hai, sach kehti thi jo bhi ammi kehti thi
4. Jeena Mushkil Hai ke Asaan zara dekh to lo, log lagte hain pareshan, zara dekh to lo
Ye Naya shahar to hai khoob basaya tumne, kyu purana hua veeran, zara dekh to lo
Tum ye kehte ho ki mai gair hoon, fir bhi, shayad nikal aye koi pehchaan, zara dekh to lo
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Videos of Shraddha Kapoor dancing at her cousin Priyaank Sharma's wedding in the Maldives are going viral on the internet.
- Alia Bhatt was seen in a bridal avatar in her new advertisement. Fans loved it and wished to see her get married in real life too. She is in a relationship with Ranbir Kapoor.
- Anil Kapoor joked that Jackie Shroff has threatened to slap him multiple times unless he confirms a film together. The two have starred in 12 films together, till date.
- Mika Singh talked about marriage on Indian Pro Music League. He said that he is the ‘only forever bachelor’ after Salman Khan and wishes to keep his tag for some time.
- Anushka Sharma and Virat Kohli met in a rather unconventional manner, during an ad shoot. While she was confident, he was a 'jittery and nervous'. Read the rest of the story here.
- Sharing how meeting a girl at an education programme led her to discover her bisexuality, Shonali Bose says, 'I hope, the youth today doesn’t have that shame'.
- Film producer Rhea Kapoor got love from a number of Bollywood beauties including Kareena Kapoor, Malaika Arora, Karisma Kapoor on her birthday.