Dasavatharam hits theatres
After surmounting legal hurdles, Tamil film Dasavatharam, featuring Kamal Haasan in ten roles, finally hit the theatres in Chennai on Friday.
Fans of the multi-faceted actor made a beeline to many cinemas screening the much-hyped movie billed as the actor's magnum opus.
They celebrated the release by pouring milk on his cut-outs and posters and performing 'aarthi'.
The movie has been released in 50 cinema houses in Chennai and its suburbs alone. Most of them carried "Houseful" boards in the morning itself, but people were still seen thronging them.
The special preview of the movie saw matinee icon and Kamal Haasan's contemporary, "Superstar" Rajnikanth, reportedly describing the movie as an "extraordinary effort".
Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, veteran actor Nagesh and actress Manorama and other top stars have reportedly praised the actor's performance in the movie after watching a special screening.
According to trade sources, a total of 139 movie prints have been released. While Asin's plays the heroine in the movie, Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat adds to the glamour quotient, making her debut in Tamil.
Dasavatharam has had its fair share of controversies, with the courts being approached for redress. While an assistant director claimed the plot to be his, a Vaishnavite organisation moved the High Court and Supreme Court seeking a stay on the screening of the movie, claiming it contained scenes that hurt religious sentiments.
However, the courts ruled in favour of producer Oscar Movies and decks were cleared for its release with the Supreme Court on June 12 dismissing a petition seeking a stay on its release.
Another Bollywood star, actor-producer-singer and music director Himesh Reshammiya has made the musical score, with the songs already topping the charts.
Top-notch lyricists Vaalee and Vairamuthu have penned the lyrics.
According to film industry sources, its director KS Ravikumar, known as the man with the Midas touch, has used all his resources to churn out a great entertainer with some great visual effects.
The Kamal-Ravikumar duo have already produced smash hits like 'Avvai Shanmugi', 'Thenali' and 'Panchathantiram'.
Actress Jayaprada and actors Nagesh and Napolean among others comprise the rest of the cast.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Malaika Arora has shared a throwback picture from her Goa vacation with Arjun Kapoor, along with some advice. Rahul Khanna said that he'll try to follow it.
- Actor Deepika Padukone answered quirky questions in an Instagram Ask Me Anything session on Tuesday.
- Joe and Anthony Russo are bringing their Marvel Cinematic Universe experience to fleshing out the Extraction franchise, director Sam Hargrave has said.
- Vijay Deverakonda is touched by the overwhelming love from his fans after the release of the Liger poster. The film, directed by Puri Jagannadh, marks his pan-Indian debut.
- The Tandav team is having further dialogue with the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting over the complaints that have been filed against the show, creator Ali Abbas Zafar has said.
- Deepika Padukone said that because of the upbringing she got, she believes in taking care of her home herself, instead of outsourcing duties to her staff.
- Kamal Haasan's leg surgery on Tuesday morning was successful, a statement shared by his daughters Shruti and Akshara revealed. He will be discharged from the hospital in a few days.