First time lucky
You’ve won a National Award in your debut film!
Yeah, I was shocked. I said, “Man, this is some achievement.” Even my family and friends were shocked. The guys in my school said, “Shams from class 9!” And you know something, I’ve never acted before on stage or in a film. I was interested in football but the director Irfan convinced me to come for the auditions and give it a shot. I was nervous. The other kids were so good. But slowly, I became confident.
Tell us about your character in Thanks Maa.
He’s a street kid called Municipality Ghatkopar. A young girl leaves her two-day-old baby on the steps of a reformatory. I save him and try to find his mother.
Do you find him?
I do, at the end of the film, but she doesn’t want him.
How was the experience of working with a two-day-old baby?
I spent a lot of time with him. It was a good experience except when he cried and peed (laughs). He even puked once. But his mother was always around.
Weren’t you scared to hold such a tiny kid?
He was a 20-day-old one, not two-day-old. But it was fun.
Do you like kids?
Yes. I have two young cousins, one is three and the other is four. I get along well with them. I have two sisters but they are older than me.
How did you connect with the other street kids you worked with?
It didn’t feel as if they were real slum kids. We attended a two-month workshop where we spent about four hours together. Each one of us was addressed by our screen names, not our real names. So we related to each other as our screen characters. I had fun with them. We used to play cards and have a good time.
Which was the most difficult scene?
When I had to carry the kid around. I had to carry him throughout the film.
Any scene you enjoyed shooting?
(Laughs) All the kids help me to find the kid’s mother. So, all the kids swoop on Sanjay Mishra, a taxi driver, and demand the woman’s whereabouts from him. When he refuses, they strip him and have a good laugh.
What are your future plans?
I will take up good offers that come my way. I think I want to become an actor when I grow up.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sanjana Sanghi played a small role in Irrfan Khan's Hindi Medium. The actor has now opened up about the acting lessons she learned from Irrfan.
- Saif Ali Khan's sister Saba Ali Khan recently posted old family pictures of the Kapoors and the Pataudis. See little Kareena and Saif here.
- Varun Dhawan shared a funny clip just before boarding an aircraft where he channeled his inner werewolf. Watch the video here.
- Twinkle Khanna has shared a glimpse of how things get difficult for her at home as schools continue to remain shut.
- Amitabh Bachchan's granddaughter, Navya Naveli Nanda, on Wednesday reacted to a question posed to a rape accused by a Supreme Court bench.
- Nick Jonas revealed he began the making of his upcoming album Spaceman when his wife and actor Priyanka Chopra was filming for The Matrix 4 in Germany.
- Kajol wished sister Tanishaa Mukerji as she turns a year older. She also shared some never-seen-before throwback pictures.
- Shah Rukh Khan's child co-star from Kal Ho Naa Ho, Jhanak Shukla, spoke in a video about why and how she 'lost the track' in her acting career, and how she is 'not earning anything' right now.
- Janhvi Kapoor is back with her second dance number, titled Nadiyon Paar, from the film Roohi. It is a remixed version of hit Shamur song Let The Music Play.
- Priyaank Sharma and Shaza Morani hosted a Christian-style wedding ceremony in the Maldives this week. The couple exchanged their vows at a beach ceremony, and danced to Ed Sheeran's Perfect.
- Twitter users reacted after Kangana Ranaut shamed 'achievers' of today for wearing 'torn American jeans and rags like blouses'. Some found pictures of Kangana herself wearing the clothes that she described.
- Singer Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a son. They had earlier shared several posts trying to guess the baby's gender, wondering if the child would be a 'Singh' or a 'Kaur'.
- Sunny Leone 'found' husband Daniel Weber wearing nothing but a strategically placed hat, and decided to shoot a video of him for her Instagram followers.
- The trailer for Flight, a new film starring Mohit Chadda, has been released. Watch here.