Christian Dior’s Haute Couture circus clowns conjure up magical place
Harlequins and Pierrot clowns entertained at Christian Dior’s Haute Couture catwalk show in Paris on Monday, as models sporting ruffs, sequined dresses and ringmaster jackets paraded through a circus tent, surrounded by acrobats.
Glittering bonnets by milliner Stephen Jones and sparkling shoes added to the whimsical collection, on the first day of Haute Couture Fashion Week, a celebration of an elite club of high-end designers with one-of-a-kind outfits.
Actresses Felicity Jones and Rachel Brosnahan looked on from the front row, as the models wove their way through human towers formed by the troupe of female acrobats.
Polka-dotted skirts and extravagantly beaded bodysuits contrasted with more subtle looks at the show, with black or white ruffle necks recalling the melancholic Pierrot, a fictional love-worn clown.
Standout numbers at the LVMH -owned brand included a gold pleated evening dress with a Grecian twist.
Dior said in show notes that the circus was a “magical place” which its eponymous late founder had enjoyed visiting.
“The circus is something that goes around the world and changes the city when it arrives. It’s like fashion week when arriving in Paris or Milan, it changes the atmosphere,” womenswear designer Maria Grazia Chiuri told journalists.
Haute Couture Week runs until Jan. 24, with grandees of Parisian fashion like Chanel and Jean Paul Gaultier as well as newer designers such as Julien Fournie and Alexis Mabille set to present their styles in the run of 30 catwalk shows.
(Reporting by Sarah White and Claudia Wyatt, Editing by Alexander Smith)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Leaving fans hooked with her saree chronicles, Janhvi Kapoor serves another sensuous look from Manish Malhotra’s collection in an ivory-coloured six yards of elegance as she promotes her upcoming film ‘Roohi’ on Day 4
- Vidya Balan recently dolled up for an e-interview and we love everything about retro-chic vibe. From her dove grey asymmetric kurta to smart narrow pants, we can’t wait to recreate the delightful silhouette as we walk into spring-summer
- Want to set mercury soaring when going for lunch or an evening out? Take fashion cues from Aditi Rao Hydari’s romantic steamy look for The Girl on The Train promotions in a pink strappy twisted bustier teamed with wide-leg pants that look flirty enough to add drama to our summer closet
- Kriti Sanon recently gave us outfit goals as she stepped out in a bodycon denim romper with white accessories for casual outing. We can't help but marvel at the choices of the fashionista.
- For her much anticipated interview with the media mogul, Oprah Winfrey, Meghan Markle wore a black silk dress and showed that she knows how to do maternity fashion right.
- Janhvi Kapoor recently stepped out in an ethereal flowy dress for a promotional event of her upcoming film Roohi. The dress that is worth ₹22k is one of our favourite looks donned by the actor.
- For a recent shoot, Kiara Advani wore a beautiful bralette and skirt co-ord set. The Kabir Singh actor made it clear that summer is here in her matching attire and we love it.
- Erica Fernandes has been serving one steamy look after another during her stay at the Maldives, be it in a powder blue bodysuit or acid wash bustier-skirt and fashionistas can’t help but take notes to slay at the next beach vacation