Premature grey hair? 10 natural remedies to fight it out
We can’t stop time, no matter how much we wish, especially when it comes to age. The two most evident signs of ageing are the sagging of skin and the greying of hair.
While the appearance of grey hair in mid-40s is only natural, in 20s and 30s it’s a nightmare! When the body stops producing the pigment melanin responsible for the dark colour of hair, it turns grey. Although lack of nourishment and heredity are major reasons for greying, it could also be due to excessive use of tobacco, and smoking or emotional stress. Here are a few home remedies to battle greying hair.1. Amla (Indian gooseberry)
A natural astringent that helps retain hair colour.
What to do: Smash the amla, take the seeds out and make a paste. Apply it to your scalp and massage it on hair roots.
2. Coconut oil and lemon juice
Helps improve blood circulation in the scalp. Oils contain biotin, moisture and other extracts that help in treating grey hair and making them soft.
What to do: Mix two parts of coconut oil and one part lemon juice. Massage the mix thoroughly on to your scalp and hair.
3. Curry leaves
Strengthen hair roots and provide vitality to hair.
What to do: Boil the leaves in a tablespoon of coconut oil until charred. Strain and massage into hair. Leave it on for 30-45 minutes before rinsing it out. Follow this treatment at least twice a week.
4. Tea or coffee
Keep hair black or brown naturally.
What to do: Add tea or coffee to water and boil for 10 minutes. To retain black hair colour, rinse with tea and for brownish hair, rinse with coffee.
5. Black sesame seeds
Turns greys to natural black.
What to do: Eat raw black sesame seeds daily with water on an empty stomach.
6. Black strap molasses
Prevents and reduces grey hair. It is rich in copper, which helps with the production of hair pigment.
What to do: Eat a tablespoon of it every morning for at least a few months to see positive results.
7. Onion paste
What to do: Apply and wash after an hour and grey hair will eventually turn black.
8. Rosemary and sage
Both herbs cover greys by darkening hair colour.
What to do: Boil one-half cup of dried rosemary and sage in two cups of water. Let it sit for a couple of hours. Strain and after shampooing, apply for 15-20 minutes and rinse. Repeat every week.
Helps hair retain its black pigment and promotes hair growth.
What to do: Grind the leaves of amaranth and apply on your scalp as a paste.
An effective home remedy to treat premature greying.
What to do: Soak shikakai in water in an iron vessel at night. In the morning, boil the water and rinse. Do this regularly.
(Inputs from Kanchan Mehra, beauty expert)
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- After returning from the Maldives, Shilpa Shetty stepped out for lunch with her family at her restaurant and opted to wear a co-ord set that was comfy and chic at the same time.
- For a day outing, Rakul Preet opted to wear a beautiful lemon yellow mini dress with a crop denim jacket. The actor imparted summer vibes with her ensemble and we are inspired.
- Mouni Roy is the new millennial trendsetter and these pictures of her in cool and fast fashion of tie and dye loungewear are proof
- Malaika Arora recently took to Instagram to wish her fans a happy Sunday as the actor enjoyed a lazy day at home wearing a sports bra and sweat pants.
- Sonkashi Sinha lays perfect style tips to break all the fashion records on a work-day in a dainty pink suit set with bell-sleeves and gorgeous pastel colour-base that has left us hooked with its must-have appeal for our summer closet
- Want to raise the hotness quotient while looking effortlessly trendy? Search no further and take fashion cues from Radhika Madan whose fun and fearless style for Netflix series ‘Spotlight’ looks fresh as spring in an off-shoulder scarlet crop top, jeans and red heels
- For a promotional event of her recently released film, The Girl On The Train, Parineeti Chopra showed how to slay in an all-black attire and add extra oomph to it.
- Alia Bhatt and Mrunal Thakur were recently snapped wearing the same dress. The green coloured midi dress is a great pick for summer season. Who do you think wore it better?
- Kareena Kapoor has changed the face of maternity fashion. From figure-flaunting dresses to dreamy kurtas and kaftans, the actor was seen wearing everything while expecting her second son. One of her outfits that created a lot of buzz was a sea green kurta set that the actor wore during a shoot.
- Priyanka Chopra recently took to Twitter and showed fans her new silver-framed spectacles. However, it was her stunning green well-fitted shirt that garnered all the attention.