Dear moms-to-be, avoid use of these cosmetic products and creams during pregnancy
During the first trimester, avoid use of cosmetics, cleaning agents and medicines to protect your child from harmful chemicals.fitness Updated: Oct 19, 2017 10:16 IST
If you are an expectant mother in the first trimester, avoid use of cosmetics, cleaning agents and medicines to protect the foetal brain development from chemicals that can trigger autism in your baby, say experts. Archana Dhawan Bajaj, gynecologist and obstetrician at Nurture IVF Centre, and Taruna Dua, consultant and gynecologist at Aakash Healthcare, have listed ingredients and products that should be avoided:
* Make-up products like lipstick, lip gloss, lip balms, eyeliners, mascaras, deodorants, foundation, nail polish, body oil, talcum powder, hair removal products and hair dyes can cause a number of mishaps. This includes miscarriage, infertility, delayed puberty, hormonal imbalance, damage to the endocrine gland, premature delivery, endometriosis (a uterus condition causing severe pain in the pelvic region), hormonal imbalance, birth defects, neurological damage to the child, ovarian cancer and skin allergies.
* The worst is the usage of acne cosmetic products like creams and gels. Acne creams have retinoids which cause miscarriages and abnormal foetal brain development. Staying away from any sort of acne product during pregnancy is a must.
* Triclosan and Triclocarban are used as antimicrobial agents in personal care products, such as soaps. These ingredients can cause issues in your body.
* Parabens are a type of preservative present in soaps, shampoos and conditioners which are used to prevent the growth of bacteria. But too much of it can have an impact on fertility.
* Formaldehyde, and a range of other volatile organic compounds, which are ingredients in nail polish can cause birth defects and harm fertility.
* Toluene is a commonly used solvent to get glossy finish on your nails. It affects the central nervous system and harms the reproductive system.
* Phthalates is the most common chemical found in almost every cosmetic product. It disrupts hormone levels, affect fertility and build-up in breast milk.
* Oxybenzone (benzophenone), octinoxate, and homosalate are found in sunscreens, lip balms, and other products with SPF. They cause endometriosis and can pose a risk to your reproductive system.
Follow @htlifeandstyle for more
First Published: Oct 19, 2017 10:16 IST