Cesar Azpilicueta signs new Chelsea contract
Cesar Azplicueta has signed a new contract to commit his future to Chelsea until 2022, the Premier League club announced.
Azpilicueta is into his seventh season at Chelsea having joined from Marseille in 2012, and he has developed into a vital player at the club.
The Spain international initially signed as a right-back, but over the years he has also been deployed to great effect across Chelsea’s backline.
Azpilicueta’s versatility has been a major part of his success at Chelsea, helping him to thrive regardless of whether playing in a three or four-man defence.
The 29-year-old is one of the most experienced players in Chelsea’s squad and looks set to continue at Stamford Bridge well into his thirties.
“I am really happy to extend my stay here at Chelsea,” the Osasuna youth product told Chelsea’s official website.
“Since I came, I felt the joy and responsibility to play for this club, these fans, and every time I go on the pitch I try do my best.
“Hopefully there is a lot to come and we can keep Chelsea where it belongs.”
Azpilicueta has been Chelsea captain this season with Gary Cahill out of favour, and club director Marina Granovskaia paid tribute to the Spaniard.
“Cesar is one of our longest-serving players and has proven to be a fantastic acquisition over the past six years,” she said.
“His professionalism and consistency in that time have been second to none and he has also developed into one of the squad’s most influential players.
“This new contract will take Cesar to 10 seasons at Chelsea, and we hope that over the next four years he will be a key part of our success.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Bayern Munich roared back from two goals down to beat Borussia Dortmund 4-2.
- Morata helped Juventus come from behind to beat Lazio 3-1 in Serie A.
- Messi helped Barca take the lead on the half-hour mark when he carved open Osasuna's defence with a superb cross-field ball to Alba, who controlled before blasting into the roof of the net.
- Daniel Amartey's 88th-minute header completed a comeback win for Leicester who stretched their unbeaten away run to 10 games.
- The draw also extended NorthEast unbeaten run this season to 11, with 10 of those coming under interim head coach Khalid Jamil. The 43-year-old Indian coach made three changes to the side that had won 2-0 against Kerala Blasters in their last league game of the campaign.
- Chelsea dominated Thursday’s game and could have had more goals to add to Mason Mount’s exquisite first-half strike that turned out to be the match-winner.
- FC Goa attacked Dessai through Saviour Gama before twinkle-toed Jorge Ortiz tested him. By the 17th minute, Dessai had been caught out thrice; the last time because of a poor pass which Alexander Jesuraj intercepted needing a tackle from Vignesh Dakshinamurthy that could have been a penalty.
- Muller wouldn’t feature regularly that season but he went on to score in the Champions League knockout stages coming on as a substitute against Sporting Lisbon.
- Musiala has been making steady progress since he joined Bayern’s under-17 team from Chelsea in 2019. He has made 27 appearances for the first team, scoring four goals.