Ryan murder: Juvenile accused to stay in observation home till January 17
The 16-year-old boy was remanded in shelter home on Nov 11, four days after CBI arrested himUpdated: Jan 09, 2018 14:53 IST
The Gurgaon special children’s court on Wednesday extended the stay of the juvenile accused in the Ryan school murder case, at the Faridabad observation home till January 17.
The 16-year-old boy was remanded in the shelter home on November 11, four days after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) arrested him for allegedly murdering eight-year-old Pradhyumn Thakur. The final hearing of his bail plea is scheduled for Saturday.
The juvenile accused was arrested by the CBI for allegedly murdering Pradhyumn, a student of class 2 at Ryan International School, Bhondsi, inside the school’s toilet on September 8.
The Gurgaon police had earlier arrested bus conductor Ashok Kumar and accused him of the murder, but he was later given bail by the court after CBI arrested the juvenile accused. Although the CBI has not given a clean chit to Kumar, it had said in the court that there was no evidence against him at present.
Sandeep Aneja, the accused’s counsel, said his client was produced before the additional district and sessions judge Anil Kumar Bishnoi because his custody ended on Wednesday. No arguments were presented at the hearing, he added.
“The juvenile has been sent to the observation home and will stay there till January 17, the next hearing. The arguments on the bail petition and other applications filed by us will be heard on January 6,” said Sandeep Aneja, part of the legal team representing the juvenile accused.
Barun Chandra Thakur, father of the victim, was also present in court along with his lawyer during the hearing.
Aneja had earlier moved an application under Section 10(5) of the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Model Rules-2016 to seek his release on bail. Although the additional district and sessions judge, Rajni Yadav, asked the CBI to file a response to the plea on December 22. The matter was later transferred to the court of judge JS Kundu.
The matter was heard on Wednesday by additional sessions judge Anil Kumar Bishnoi, as judge JS Kundu was on leave.
The Juvenile Justice Board of Gurgaon ordered that the juvenile accused be tried as an adult on December 20, five days after it dismissed his bail plea application. He was arrested on November 7 last year. The board in Gurgaon has so far declared 25 juveniles as adults.
The JJ Act, which allows children aged 16 to 18 years and in conflict with law to be tried as adults in cases of heinous offences, came into force in January, 2016. The law came after a outcry over the release of a minor convicted in the December 16 gang rape case.