Harry Potter franchise crosses $7 bn mark
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2 has had a record breaking run in the first week - the eight and the last instalment of the boy wizard story has already earned $640.2 million and with that, the franchise has crossed the $7 billion mark worldwide.
The film earned $214.9 million at the US box office and $425.3 million at international ticket windows.
"It is an extraordinary privilege for everyone at Warner Bros to share in this piece of cinema history. We are extremely grateful to the Harry Potter fans who have remained loyal to the movies for more than a decade," deadline.com quoted Jeff Robinov, president, Warner Bros Pictures Group, as saying.
Authored by JK Rowling, the first Harry Potter book came out in 1997 and became a rage, and four years later its movie version starring Daniel Radcliffe and Emma Watson hit the screens. The movie was equally successful.
"We also want to congratulate the amazing roster of actors and filmmakers, whose artistry and talent is evident in every frame of every film. But special thanks must go to the woman whose incomparable imagination literally changed the world, Rowling," Robinov added.
Dan Fellman, president of domestic distribution of Warner Bros. Pictures, said: "Becoming a $7 billion-plus franchise is a stunning achievement, which is shared by everybody involved in any or all of the Harry Potter films.
"On the domestic side, the studio is also thrilled to have reached the billion dollar benchmark for an unprecedented eleventh year in a row. We thank everyone at Warner Bros whose hard work and dedication have contributed so much to our success."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Gal Gadot has said that she was on the verge of giving up acting when she was cast in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as Wonder Woman. Read her nostalgic post.
- Kim Kardashian took to her Instagram account and remembered her father Robert Kardashian on his birth anniversary. Sister Khloe Kardashian and Kourtney Kardashian also shared photos.
- I Care a Lot movie review: Rosamund Pike is in proper Gone Girl mode in director J Blakeson's devilishly entertaining dark comedy, out on Netflix.
- Singer FKA Twigs has offered more details about the alleged abuse that she faced during her relationship with actor Shia LaBeouf.
- Joe and Anthony Russo, directors of Marvel's Avengers: Endgame, have debunked a fan theory that was seemingly endorsed by the film's writers previously.
- Zack Snyder dropped the trailer for his upcoming Justice League on Valentine's Day. The action-packed clip teased an intense faceoff between Batman and Joker.