Flood-like situation in Gujarat’s Valsad after incessant rain
A couple of areas in southern Gujarat faced flood like situation following heavy rainfall since Sunday evening.
District administration has been keeping rescue teams on stand-by, especially in Valsad district that recorded 357 mm by Monday afternoon, said the state emergency response cell.
The industrial town of Vapi received 336 mm rains, resulting in flood like situation. Orsang and Par rivers are in spate.
“The rivers have not hit the danger mark yet,” said Valsad collector CR Kharsan.
The national highway connecting Mumbai to Surat was under water on some stretches, causing traffic snarls. Several trains between Mumbai and Surat were also running late Monday.
The India Meteorological Department (IMD), Gujarat office has forecast heavy rain for next 48 hours in Gujarat.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Fire engines and rescue teams were pressed into service and the injured are being treated at the Sivakasi government hospital.
- A Bengaluru-based political analyst said that Yediyurappa's supporters may want to go in for low-key birthday celebrations even though detractors may post as many ads as possible to remind everyone of his age.
- Officials said some local youths spotted the big fish lying lifeless on the Sonapur coast on Thursday afternoon.
- Officials in Bhubaneswar's Regional Meteorological Centre said the maximum temperature of 38 degrees Celsius in Bhubaneswar on Wednesday too was highest on that day.
- In MP, the positivity rate increased to 2.3% on Thursday and there are 2,435 active cases in the state.
- CSE’s director general Sunita Narian said Covid-19 had made the world’s poor poorer.
- This was the first formal contact between Jaishankar and Wang since they met on the margins of a Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) meeting in Moscow on September 10 last year, and it came days after India and China pulled back frontline troops from strategic heights around Pangong Lake.