GES 2017 kicks off Tuesday, Ivanka Trump to speak on women entrepreneurship
The city is all set to host the eighth edition of the Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES), which will be inaugurated by Prime Minster Narendra Modi on Tuesday.
Union ministers Sushma Swaraj, Nirmala Sitharaman and Suresh Prabhu will be attending the summit, NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant on Monday told reporters here at a joint press conference with US Ambassador to India Kenneth Juster.
After the inauguration, US President Donald Trump’s daughter and advisor Ivanka Trump and Indian defence minister Sitharaman will be participating in a panel discussion on opening up of opportunities for women entrepreneurs, Kant said.
The discussion will be moderated by John Chambers, Chairman Emeritus CISCO, he said.
Ivanka will lead a delegation from the US at the three- day event.
The closing session of the GES will bring together key influencers who support, promote and fund women entrepreneurs, Kant said.
The closing session will be moderated by commerce minister Suresh Prabhu, he said.
External affairs minister Sushma Swaraj will also participate in the GES, he said.
More than 10 countries, including Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia and Israel, will be represented by their all-women delegation at the summit, Kant said.
With the theme of ‘Women First, Prosperity for All’, this will be the first GES in which women are expected to be majority (52.5 per cent) of the participants, he said.
The theme of this year’s summit demonstrates the commitment of the US and the Indian governments to the principle that when women are economically empowered, their communities and countries thrive, he said.
“Women entrepreneurs help drive innovation and job creation as well as address the world’s greatest and most critical challenges,” Kant said.
Replying to a query, Juster lauded Modi for the recent World Bank’s ranking of India on the ease of doing business.
“The important point is that the economic reform process will obviously increase US investments (in India),” he said.
He, however, said the investment decisions are made by the private sector and are driven by market forces.
On the GES, Juster said both India and the US focus on innovation and events like this will boost the process further in this regard.
Refusing to speak on the recent H1B visa issue in the US, Juster said his country is doing a comprehensive review of the visa policy, which is yet to be announced.
He, however, said the visa policy is not specific to any country and is aimed at attracting talent and innovation to the US.
A number of leading female voices will speak at various plenaries, breakout sessions, master classes, and workshops, including tennis champion Sania Mirza, Google’s Vice President of Next Billion Users Diana Louise Patricia Layfield, and CEO of Afghan Citadel Software Company Roya Mahboob.
The three-day GES will be held at the Hyderabad International Convention Centre.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Giving two weeks to the government to come back with its response, the bench then formally recorded in its order that one of the issues that has caught its attention is “uncontrolled and unscreened viewing of films” on Amazon Prime Video and other OTT platforms.
- The roughly 20,000 centres being used for the vaccine drive at the moment are hospitals, private as well as public, while many primary and secondary health centres at present are kept out of the programme.
- The external affairs ministry, which too rejected Freedom House’s report, also took exception to the depiction of Jammu and Kashmir in the map used in the document.
- A home ministry spokesperson said these rules prepared by the Foreigners’ Division were part of a brochure issued on November 15, 2019. The rules were consolidated and notified on Thursday.
- After the allegations on Jarkiholi, there were unverified reports of several similar videos and other sex scandals against other cabinet ministers.
- India is a signatory to the Paris Agreement under the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change.
- On the other hand, the DMK’s stalemate continued with its main and long standing ally, the Congress, on seat sharing.
- The person said it was imperative that the photographs are removed from certificates distributed in the poll bound states, adding that the system can continue in other states.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla, former President Pratibha Patil, economist Amartya Sen, cricketer Sachin Tendulkar, spiritual leader Baba Ramdev, chief ministers of states and senior political leaders are among those included in the panel.
- According to Indian agencies, the JeI has maintained that J&K is a disputed territory.
- Interestingly, the election of the six YSRC members comes at a time when a resolution adopted by the Jagan Mohan Reddy government in the state assembly in January 2020, seeking abolition of the legislative council, is still pending with the Union home ministry.
- When the matter came up before a bench of Justices Ashok Bhushan and R Subhash Reddy on Friday, the bench adjourned it to April 7 as it had no time for a full fledged hearing.
- Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan also held a review meeting on Friday to discuss with the divisional commissioners the steps being taken to contain the spread of the infection.
- There is a cost difference of about 25-30 per cent in containers made in India and abroad.
- After an agreement last month on pulling back frontline troops along with armoured vehicles and artillery from strategic heights around Pangong Lake, the two sides have been unable to make progress on disengagement at other friction points such as Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra.