I have no relatives, will spare nobody in my fight against corruption: What PM Modi said at BJP meet
Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered a stern message against graft and black money at the BJP’s National Executive meeting on Monday.india Updated: Sep 25, 2017 18:24 IST
Prime Minister Narendra Modi delivered a stern message against corruption at the BJP’s National Executive meeting on Monday, warning that no financial offender will be spared under his rule.
“I don’t have any relatives,” finance minister Arun Jaitley later quoted Modi as saying at the event, indicating that the Prime Minister comes with no strings attached in this regard.
Ever since it seized power in May 2014, the Modi government has taken a number of steps aimed at curbing black money – including setting up a special investigation team to probe such cases, demonetising high-value currency notes, and amending laws to seize benami properties.
Here are some of the points Modi mentioned in his speech, as narrated by Jaitley to the press.
1) The ongoing BJP National Executive is politically significant because it coincides with the birth anniversary of Bharatiya Jana Sangh leader Pandit Deendayal Upadhyay.
2) The BJP has become the rallying point of people’s ambition, and it is natural for them to look up to it for the country’s bright future.
3) No other political organisation is as active as the BJP in today’s India. This party looks at electoral gain only as a tool to ensure the triumph of democracy after the polls. We should make the BJP an instrument of mass participation, improving the lives of the common people.
4) No movement will achieve success unless it is built on the jan-bhagidari (public participation) principle. The Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan is a good example of how a programme can become successful through public participation.
5) Party functionaries should reach out to farmers across India and try to understand their problems.
6) The idiom of political dialogue has to change. The language of administration has to become easier, so it can be delivered to the people with absolute clarity.
7) The Opposition doesn’t know how to remain in the opposition because it enjoyed its time in power. Many a time, harsh words are used by the Opposition even when it has no specific charges against the government. Harsh language cannot be a substitute for charges.
8) There should be a panchayat of LPG and Mudra scheme beneficiaries to discuss the pros and cons of the programmes.
9) The party will continue to fight against terrorism. As many as 90 hardcore terrorists have been deported from abroad.
10) There will be no compromise in my battle against corruption. If anybody is caught, the person will not be spared. I have no relatives.
First Published: Sep 25, 2017 18:17 IST