Won’t trouble the innocent, guilty will be punished: Modi on demonetisationindia Updated: Nov 13, 2016 16:02 IST
Prime Minister Narendra Modi speaking at an event in Goa.(ANI Photo)
Prime Minister Narendra Modi said on Sunday that demonetisation of Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes was necessary to end corruption and black money and the step was taken to benefit the poor.
“The people have chosen a government and they expect so much from it. In 2014, so many people voted to free the nation from corruption.” Here are highlights from two speeches Modi delivered on Sunday:
- You have seen those who looted the country for 70 years. Just give me 70 months.
- There is pain here, but what is more is gain for the country.
- A clean-up is necessary and I need your help for this.
- Corrupt people should know Modi is not going to get stuck after December 30.m
- This government will never trouble innocent citizens and at the same time, the government wants to ensure those who are guilty are punished.
- What was the news in 2012, 2013 and first half of 2014- the scams, the corruption...did you see their condition after November 8?
- I know the forces up against me, they may not let me live, they may ruin me because their loot of 70 years is in trouble, but am prepared.
- I also feel the pain. These steps taken were not a display of arrogance.
- Why do we have to put the future of our youth at stake? Those who want to play politics are free to do so.
- Just give me time till December 30 over this issue (demonetisation). If you have any qualms after December 30, the people of this country can punish me.
- Whatever I had, my family, my home, I left it behind for the nation, says PM Modi as he tears up.
- You’ll be shocked to know that many MPs asked me not to make PAN mandatory for any purchase of jewellery.
- If any money that was looted in India and has left Indian shores, it is our duty to find out about it.
- We are going to target those who have benami properties.
- If you asked me to defeat the menace of black money, how can I not do it?
- The people have chosen a government and they expect so much from it. In 2014, so many people voted to free the nation from corruption.
- This is an important step towards eradicating corruption and black money, but some people are lost in their own world, says PM Modi on demonetisation of Rs 500 and Rs 1000 banknotes.