Madhya Pradesh: NMDC resumes diamond mining in Panna after forest department nod
Madhya Pradesh forest department has allowed National Mineral Development Corporation (NMDC) to resume operation of its diamond mine at Majhgawan in Panna district of Bundelkhand region, said an official.
The operation was suspended as the environmental clearance for the mine came to an end on December 31, 2020, said the official.
An order dated January 4, 2021, sent to field director of Panna Tiger Reserve by principal chief conservator of forest (PCCF), wildlife, Alok Kumar said, “The operation of diamond mine of National Mineral Development Corporation, spread in the area of 74 hectares in forest area of Gangau sanctuary of Panna, has continued for the past 50 years. The state government has extended the lease for the next 20 years and the matter of renewal of lease is pending before the State Wildlife Board and National Wildlife Board. In case of no new mining operation and no adverse impact on wildlife, the existing operation should be resumed till the clearance from the wildlife board.”
Panna Tiger Reserve field director UK Sharma said, “The order to resume the operation of the mine has been released for existing mining operation.”
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- None of the students had any symptoms of Covid-19 and when their samples were again subjected to RT-PCR tests, the results were negative.
- Karat was referring to remarks made during the hearing of a plea filed by a public servant, who is accused of repeatedly raping a girl, against the Bombay High Court February 5 order which had cancelled his anticipatory bail.
- Shubham Chaudhuri -- a volunteer with global climate activist group 'Extinction Rebellion' told the court that he has nothing to do with the making of the alleged toolkit and has been implicated in the case.
- A notorious drug dealer, Sunil Howlader, was arrested during the raid. He is a resident of Rasulpur. His SUV was also seized.
- The incident has given the opposition parties more fuel to attack the minister and the BS Yediyurappa-led government in the state.