Niti Aayog announces two award schemes to push online payments: Highlights
Niti Aayog on Thursday announced awards for people making payments through digital means. Niti Aayog’s CEO Amitabh Kant made the key announcement in a press conference.
•15,000 winners will get Rs 1000 each for 100 days starting Christmas. The scheme runs from December 25, 2016, to April 14, 2017.
• 7,000 weekly draws with maximum prize of Rs 1 lakh each for consumers and maximum award of Rs 50,000 each for merchants
• On April 14, a mega award of Rs 1 crore will be announced for consumers. The second prize will be of Rs 50 lakh and third of Rs 25 lakh.
•The scheme will not cover transactions above Rs 5000 and below Rs 50.
•The scheme will not cover B2B transactions.
•Transactions using RuPay, USSD,UPI and AEPS will only be covered under this scheme; payments made through credit cards and e-wallets won’t be covered.
Niti Aayog’s announcement comes days after the finance ministry declared multiple incentives -- ranging from discounts on fuel, highway toll and railway tickets to cheaper insurance cover – for those using digital payment modes.
The government has come under opposition attack for its November 8 move to recall Rs 500 and Rs 1000 notes but it has repeatedly defended itself, saying the decision was necessary to stamp out black money and counterfeit currency.
In recent weeks, Prime Minister Narendra Modi also extolled the virtues of a cashless society, giving examples of beggars using ATM machines, and said any pain from a shortage of cash was temporary and that the move will benefit the country in the long run.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- French foreign minister Jean-Yves Le Drian and finance minister Bruno Le Maire will be in Delhi next month while IAF chief Air Chief Marshal RKS Bhadauria will be in France. At least 8 Rafale fighters will leave for India through mid-air refuelling by UAE between April 19 and April 23.
- The order also said that Kailashnathan will head an executive council set up for the purpose,
- Congress is like an ocean, Gandhi said in the national executive meeting of the IYC, and if anyone wants to return can be allowed to do so.
- The two-day trip to Dhaka will be Modi’s first foreign visit in 15 months
- Parties urge Speaker, Chairman to reduce sessions amid polls; both Houses to begin at 11 am from Tuesday
- Additional sessions judge Sandeep Yadav convicted 35-year-old Khan, also known as Junaid, Salim and Anna
- The database uses Aadhaar-based data generated from key farm sector programmes such as PM-KISAN.
- Police data shows that some of the 522 passengers nabbed in last 5 years while carrying live bullets in their bags claimed they had done so unknowingly
- Private firms will likely claim that the law interferes with their constitutional rights to carry on trade freely
- From SC-ST social groups, reservations have expanded to OBCs, economically weaker sections
- The revenue in March may cross the record Rs.1,19,875 crore collected in January by at least Rs.10,000 crore.
- Officials said that an inquiry committee, constituted by the Visitor of Delhi University (DU), the President of India, held its final meeting.
- BJP MLAs supported the bill and called it a gift for women on the occasion of Women’s Day