Mid-air scare: Cell phone catches fire on Delhi-Indore Jet Airways flight
Passengers say fire extinguishers on board were not working, crew put out fire by dunking phone in tray of waterindia Updated: Oct 21, 2017 23:23 IST
A mobile phone of a passenger caught fire during a Delhi-Indore Jet Airways flight on Friday, a close shave for nearly 120 people who eventually landed safely after the crew put the device in water.
The handset belonged to Delhi resident Arpita Dhal and was kept in her handbag under the seat. About 15 minutes into the flight, she noticed smoke from the bag and called the crew for help.
“It was a mid-air panic. We prayed to god,” said Atul, Arpita’s husband who was with her. He added that the fire extinguishers on board did not work.
The couple identified the phone as a Samsung J7, among three handsets kept in Arpita’s bag.
“I will complain against Jet Airways after I return home. This is a question of safety of passengers in flights. If there is a major fire or blast what will they do when their fire extinguishers don’t work like this.”
A Jet Airways spokesperson confirmed the incident but said it was resolved “as per guidelines”.
“It was observed on board Jet Airways’ flight 9W 791 Delhi-Indore that smoke was emitting from a guest hand bag. Jet Airways crew immediately took charge of the situation, as also all necessary steps as precautionary measure, and as per the prescribed guidelines,” the spokesperson said.
“We are in touch with relevant authorities for more information. At Samsung, customer safety is top priority,” a Samsung India spokesperson said.
Dhal’s husband, Atul, said the crew had to put the phone in a tray of water to put out the fire. Their other phones were also put in it as a precaution.
A Jet Airways spokesperson in Delhi said the device had been confiscated and would be returned after investigation.
(with inputs from HT Correspondents in Delhi)
First Published: Oct 21, 2017 12:45 IST