Odisha woman raped in Goa, teen arrested: Cops
The Goa Police on Friday arrested a 16-year old juvenile who allegedly helped commit the murder of a young woman, a native of Odisha in the village of Salvador do Mundo on the outskirts of Panaji.
The victim’s body was found on February 11, dumped in an isolated place and was noticed by construction workers who informed the police. However, police informed that she was raped and murdered on February 8 by two persons, before dumping the body and fleeing from the scene.
“We managed to crack the case and have arrested one person. We are on the lookout for a second accused who is an adult,” Deputy Superintendent of Police Edwin Colaço said.
The main accused, identified as one Upendra, is absconding.
The arrested minor, who has allegedly confessed to the crime has been remanded to the state protective home for delinquent children.
The woman, though hailing from Odisha, was staying in Goa with her partner and was known to the accused.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- India’s sedition law has an interesting past — it was introduced by the British in 1870, decided to be dropped from the Constitution in 1948 after discussions of the Constituent Assembly.
- India will also promote tourism by celebrating 2022 as the Visit India Year through a promotion campaign highlighting India’s strengths like heritage, culture, art, wellness and yoga.
- The ADG has constituted teams of police personnel from Aligarh to assist the Hathras police.
- The incident took place on Sunday afternoon, when the girl went to a wheat field, owned by the family of the accused, to collect fodder and water.
- The provisions under the new rules relate to the code of ethics for digital news publishers, setting up of a grievance redressal system and the requirement of disclosure of information to Centre, the ministry said.
- The instrument will support the 3.6 metre Devasthal Optical Telescope (DOT) in Uttarakhand, an official release from the department of science said on Wednesday.
- Lt-Gen BS Raju said a quiet LoC will allow us to address the challenge of terrorism in a focused manner.
- The central agency has registered a case on the basis of an FIR registered by Chennai Economic Offences Wing in September last year.
- Dhyani added that the burden on the ecology due to construction on Himalayan slopes made the region prone to disasters.
- Navlakha claimed in his petition filed through advocate Shadan Farasat that the 90-day period for filing of charge sheet was over and he was entitled to default bail under Section 167(2) of the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC).
- Lama was being considered as the GJM candidate for the Kalimpong assembly seat in the coming polls later this month.
- Unhappy with the response, the bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde asked Solicitor General Tushar Mehta to appear in the case along with Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Vikramjeet Banerjee, who presented the note to the Court.
- The officer withdrew his request after an orthopaedic surgeon said his purpose would not be served by buying a horse.