Sohrabbudin would have killed Narendra Modi if left alive: Former cop Vanzara on verdict
D G Vanzara, main accused in Sohrabbudin Sheikh encounter case and retired Inspector General of Police, Gujarat Friday maintained he and his team stand of killing Sheikh has been vindicated.
“If Sohrabbudin was not killed then by the Gujarat ATS, then he would have killed then(2005) Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi,” said Vanzara, who was discharged by the Mumbai special CBI court earlier.
“Today it has been proved that I and my team were in side of the truth,” he added. In September, the Bombay High Court had upheld Vazara’s discharge in the case by a trial court.
Twenty-two accused acquitted today were lower level police officials from Gujarat and Rajasthan. As Gujarat ATS Chief Vanzara had led the encounter.
“Due to political reasons I was jailed for nine years. But truth has come out today,” he added.
Other senior Gujarat police officers including Abhay Chudasma, P C Pande, former Rajasthan home minister Gulab Chand Kataria, former Gujarat home minister and now the BJP chief Amit Shah and retired IPS Geeta Johri were also discharged by the CBI court.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Shiv Sena's mouthpiece Saamana asked what was the need to revisit the same topic again and again when it has become obsolete.
- India is behind only the United States and the United Kingdom in terms of the total number of people receiving vaccination, data from the health ministry shows.
- Parliament officials said that the government managers as well as many opposition leaders have requested Rajya Sabha chairman Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla to cut short the session as leaders of many parties would be busy in the campaign for the polls.
- The Jammu and Kashmir administration is also collecting biometric and other details of Rohingyas staying in the union territory.
- Among those waiting at the weighing scale are also people who do not own land but are engaged in transporting sugarcane from farms to sugar mills after getting the yield measures at weighing scales.
- Here are today’s top news, analysis, and opinion. Know all about the latest news and other news updates from Hindustan Times.