Attack on migrant labour; toll rises to 15
The attack on migrant labourers in Manipur continued on Wednesday with unidentified militants gunning down a worker in their drive against non-Manipuris in the state even as indefinite night curfew was imposed in all the four valley districts.
Fifteen workers have been shot dead so far since Monday night.
The militants on Wednesday drove up and shot dead the non-Manipuri labourer at Kumbi market area, 50 km from here, where he was working, official sources said.
The militants escaped before the police arrived.
Seven non-Manipuris were gunned down by militants on Monday night in Imphal west district and another seven in Imphal East and Thoubal districts yesterday. Papers saying 'go back to your state' were attached to some victims.
Meanwhile, the administration has imposed indefinite night curfew from 6 pm to 5 in Imphal East, Imphal West, Thoubal and Bishenpur districts.
Describing the killings as "uncivilised, brutal and acts of cowardice", Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh told the Manipur assembly that there would be round-the-clock vigil at 42 checkposts in Imphal and surrounding areas to prevent the movement of militants.
Participating in a short discussion, he said steps would be taken to book the culprits and there would be "no negotiation" with them. Singh also blamed human rights groups for maintaining silence on the issue.
Meanwhile, relief camps were opened in Thoubal district to shelter 600 migrant labourers.
Instructions have also been given to authorities in other districts to open camps if necessary, the sources said.