The report Tiger numbers sink to record low (February 13) is worrying. The only way out of this mess is to increase the number of lower-level staff who actually guard the forests. The Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) must be bifurcated and a new ministry for matters pertaining to wildlife should be set up.
Migrants put pressure
Raj Thackeray’s anti-migrant rhetoric has tou-ched the hearts of many in Mumbai because people from Bihar and UP have not only burdened the metro, they have also taken up whatever few jobs were available in the city.
Apropos of Family of the feckless (February 12), Raj and Uddhav Thackeray are openly preaching parochialism because they believe they are above the law. But, why are Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Sonia Gandhi still silent on this burning issue?
Poor governance in states like Bihar and UP have led to mass migration from these states to places like Mumbai. But this is putting more pressure on the already stretched civic infrastructure of the city. The solution to Mumbai’s woes lies in clean and dynamic governance of those states.
PuriLeave Taslima alone
Mahmood Farooqui in Home is where our heart is (Feb. 12) truly says that Taslima Nasreen has suffered enough and her visa should be extended. I wish liberal Muslims come forward and spread the message of peace and amity.
Left’s roadblock again
Apropos of the report Karat remark signals N-end? (Feb. 13), after US envoy David Mulford’s remarks that the time to implement the nuclear deal is now or never, Karat lost no time in baring his party’s teeth to ditch the deal.
Readers may e-mail letters
to the editor at:
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The finance department has written to the top brass of various departments, offices and administration to ensure strict compliance to the finance and treasury rules for maintaining fiscal discipline.
- In a letter to Puri king Gajapati Dibya Singha Deb, Union minister for petroleum and natural gas, Dharmendra Pradhan urged him to launch a mass fund collection drive to enable contribution by crores of devotees of Lord Jagannath for the development of the Jagannath Temple heritage corridor.
- Cryptocurrency is, however, not legally banned and the government is in the process of enacting a law on this matter.
- The PM asked the three services to rid themselves of legacy systems and practices that are no longer relevant.
- According to the police, some young men were dancing at the DJ night in a wedding ceremony, during which one of the accused pointed the pistol at the forehead of another youth.
- In January this year, Chief Justice of India (CJI) SA Bobde ruled out any reopening of courts for the present.