New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Nov 27, 2020-Friday
-°C

Humidity
-

Wind
-

Select Country
Select city
ADVERTISEMENT
Home / India / Court to award sentence to 2003 Mumbai twin blasts convicts today

Court to award sentence to 2003 Mumbai twin blasts convicts today

A POTA court will decide today the quantum of punishment to be awarded to three convicts responsible for carrying out twin bomb blasts at the Gateway of India and Zaveri Bazaar in 2003.

india Updated: Aug 04, 2009, 10:29 IST
PTI

A designated POTA court will decide on Tuesday the quantum of punishment to be awarded to three convicts who were found guilty for carrying out twin bomb blasts at the Gateway of India and Zaveri Bazaar in 2003.

Special Prevention of Terrorism Act (POTA) Judge M R Puranik had last week convicted Ashrat Ansari (32), Hanif Sayed Anees (46) and his wife Fehmida Sayed (43) for their role in carrying out the blasts in which 52 persons were killed and 100 injured.

The convicts face life imprisonment or death penalty, and Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam has said he would ask for stringent punishment.

The court would hear arguments of prosecution and defence lawyers before giving its verdict on the sentence.

This is for the first time that a married couple has been found guilty under POTA for carrying out bomb explosions, Nikam said.

ht epaper

Sign In to continue reading