‘Cylinder’ blast kills 3
Three persons died in Nasik on Wednesday in an explosion suspected to have been taken place at a godown where firecrackers and cylinders were allegedly stored in an illegal manner.Updated: Jun 08, 2011 23:35 IST
Three persons died in Nasik on Wednesday in an explosion suspected to have been taken place at a godown where firecrackers and cylinders were allegedly stored in an illegal manner.
Home minister RR Patil and Nasik guardian minister Chaggan Bhujbal visited the site of the explosion. Patil said investigation was on.
Sources say the explosion took place on the first floor of a building and it caused extensive damage to the basement and the first floor.
Police suspect firecrackers had been stored illegally. Sources said police teams were on the lookout for a person called Manohar Gurnani, who owns a shop in the building.
Maharashtra DGP Ajit Parasnis told media the firecrackers might have come into contact with a fire source, causing the explosion.
“We are looking into the matter from all possible angles. Going by the intensity of the blast, it appears to be more than just a cylinder blast,” he said.
“Some fire crackers were also found at the blast site. There were a number of shops in the same building, including a jewellery unit that had stored cylinders.”
First Published: Jun 08, 2011 21:17 IST